don't click here

Sonic 06 demo gone from XBL

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Guess Who, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I thought that was their engine rendering and running the demo in real time, considering the part where they began throwing boxes of rings around.

2. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Man that landscape really reminds me of a desaturated version of the overworld from Dragon quest VIII

[​IMG]

Or's that just me? lol

3. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Nah, they're both pretty generic grasslands. That environment isn't Sonicky at all and there's nothing to do but run around. I'm personally glad that wasn't what we got, unless there would've been plans to spruce it up with elements like loops, steep slopes, and floating platforms. Otherwise it would've been Sonic in a generic RPG overworld, the only difference being his ability to jump.

4. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    It was taken down at least a couple months ago. Wasn't available when I bought Pinkerton's 360.

5. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Can it have checker hill rock formations, green, checker-y grass, and lots of pinball physics as well as plenty of varied terrain to platform about?

Oh man, but seriously. That is the ideal 3D Sonic game in my mind. Combine classic 90s Sonic with 3D gameplay and we've got ourselves a winner.

But... for said game, they'd need to make it more exploration based than speed based. I'm sad to say that the "Point A to Point B" thing isn't exciting me anymore unless it's 2D. I want a Sonic game where there are factions of Badniks terrorizing Mobians, and an endless, explorable map of Mobius. I want it spread out and for Sonic to utilize his speed in all new ways like never before. How's about we get the ability to break the sound barrier? Maybe power machines that activate gates by a treadmill?

And as for the worlds? Incorporate the worlds of humans and anthros together. I'm rather sick of seeing all the humans without a considerable amount of anthros amongst them. Vary the crowd, make it diverse. In fact, go and Archie comics it up. Make it huge and expanse. Give everything a personality. Make the world adventurous and full of trademark Sonic level designs. Let us explore the entire Angel Island (yes, even Sky Sanctuary) in glorious 3D.

Geez. It sounds like a sales pitch.

------------------

But yeah, it's so disappointing that they got us hyped for nothing. Even sadder, is when the demo for your own game has tighter controls than the real thing.

6. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    ...Do I need to make a topic about what Nextgen could've been and imagine concepts of what would work? =P

7. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    I'd like that.

Except, don't we already of a Sonic Game Ideas topic? Or not?

8. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    From my understanding, they made a CG movie meant to look like a tech demo. It's basically the same thing Sony was doing at that same E3, with the fake Killzone 2 and Motorstorm footage.

9. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I like the idea of having a massive, open, graphically pleasing, and fleshed-out overworld in a Sonic game. Being able to freely run around in that kind of overworld would kick ass and make for a nice relaxing breather period between levels, especially if they keep to the frenetic style of the Unleashed Day Stages.

Towns, too, as long as they're of the Unleashed variety rather than the '06 breed.

As for that god damn pre-release teaser stuff, it always pisses me off whenever I look on the XBL Marketplace and see them showing those shots off, when they obviously aren't a part of the game. They use pre-release Unleashed shots for that game, too, but at least those are a fairly accurate representation of the product they're selling. The '06 pre-release bullshit doesn't even look like '06 at all! :psyduck:

10. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    There probably is one, but it's buried so deep beneath all the newer topics that there's no chance of finding it. Of course, this wouldn't be a problem if only this forum had some sort of search function.

To any site staff reading this: Is there any chance we could get a sticky topic for that?

11. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?act=Search

There is a search function.

Anyway...

Shame the demo is gone, but it wasn't GOOD either. Simply more tolerable. The only way '06 would have been good is if it was turned into a pure time trial game and thrown in the metaphorical oven for another year.

12. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Eh, not really. Sonic 2006 was a bad game. Plain and simple. It was the punctuation mark of a dying franchise. Sonic Adventure 2 was worse than Sonic Adventure. Sonic Heroes was worse than Sonic Adventure 2. Shadow the Hedgehog was worse than Sonic Heroes. Sonic 2006 was worse than all of them combined. It is "bottom of the barrel" if there ever was one.

More than just gameplay problems, it highlights a management problem within Sega of Japan and Sonic Team. An issue not only of quality control, but of people within the company who poison games with bad ideas - ideas that no amount of polish is going to smooth over.

There is no way to do Sonic 2006 "the right way", because there are core concepts in the game that are out-and-out unsalvagable. The only way to do Sonic 2006 "the right way" is to not do Sonic 2006 at all. No Princesses, no Solaris Project, no Iblis, no Silver, no Shadow, no storyline, no switching characters... we're talking abandoning a good 75-90% of the game, here.

Just... no.

13. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. Sonic can always get worse. If the franchise ever hits rock bottom, it will get a shovel and start digging deeper.

I'm not a pessimist. :v:

14. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Actually, no, it can't. Games don't generally get worse than that, let alone games with an actual budget.

15. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Fair enough, but I wouldn't underestimate Sonic Team. Believe it or not, I still hold out hope, I just don't count out the chance that it could happen. We'll just have to wait for the next full 3D Sonic to find out.

16. NeKit

NeKit

Russia
    Sonic SCANF
    I really can't understand why you hate all of these. Wasn't the storyline 10x better than Unleashed and Heroes one? Wasn't Solaris Project far more interesting than Metal Sonic, wanting to conquer the world (insert Dark Gaia here).
    The only things I didn't like are Silver's gameplay, and, of course, long loadings...

17. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

It would have been had it not been riddled with holes. (EDIT: Not to mention wholly unoriginal and badly written all-around, never mind the issue of the horrid voice-acting.)

Plotholes, that is.

Unleashed and Heroes both set out to be deliberately simple. Heroes jumped the shark, but in my opinion Unleashed hit the mark fairly well.

18. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    Jesus fucking christ, I just re-downloaded the demo for Sonic 2006 and I couldn't play through it for more than two minutes.

I died and lost all my lives due to god-awful collision detection, the camera was wonky and jerky.

How in god's name was this game EVER turned into a retail release? I once made a a point of trying to make sure I own every Sonic game... but I haven't bought 2006, Unleashed, Black Knight, Secret Rings... I have a very strong feeling that I am not missing a thing.

19. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

Well, you've missed something in Unleashed, but I can't vouch for the Storybook Series beyond saying that I had a mildly fun time with both of them.

In any even, '06 is on a totally different plane of existence, as far as suckage goes...

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

No. It was generic, predictable, saw the characters behaving like cardboard and clashed with the idea of a fun-loving blue hedgehog in every way. Sonic 06 changed the series in far too many ways. I'm rather glad it's generally hated.

Speaking of the 06 demo, it's even more slippery than the final game and you can spindash through ANYTHING with no effort. It at least shows that some things were retuned a little. The air dash got butchered though. Sonic archs in the demo, but goes at a right angle in the final. It only serves to make control worse. Why change it for the worse?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.