don't click here

Something about Sonic Jam you didn't know?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Jayextee, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    So, I remembered something, from last Christmas's issue of Retro Gamer magazine, in the interview with Takashi Izuka about the NiGHTS franchise. The interview went on about internal difficulties, competing with Mario 64 (Which wasn't out yet) and something to do with Yuji Naka almost leaving over the NiGHTS engine being used for Sonic X-Treme. And, there's this;

[​IMG]

Sonic World was a prototype Sonic Adventure. There you go :rolleyes:

2. Vangar

Vangar

Although we didn't know, I think a lot of people here pondered if this was true. Now we know. Thank you!

3. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I've known about this for a while, but couldn't remember where I had read it. I don't know if it was from the same magazine, I think it was a web site based off that article.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I think that a lot of speculation tends to be utterly worthless without any type of evidence. In addition, I also would not have suspected Sonic World, of all things, to resemble how the next major Sonic game would have played. So this is definitely a great find—props to you! :rolleyes:

I really hope their idea of Sonic Adventure wasn't meant to handle that bad, though...

5. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    I have seen this said for years, but never really knew where it came from, so it is no surprise.

What I wonder about more is, was the game more similar to Sonic World instead of "real life" ? I really liked Sonic World and it annoyes me that no other 3D game has ever tried to actually be a Sonic game.

6. Granville

Granville

US
    They even had Sonic Adventure's new running animation in the World model (the one where Sonic lets his arms fly backwards as he runs). No surprises there, but it's a bit disappointing SEGA didn't stick with the Saturn to make Adventure in the classic Sonic style. And yes I love Adventure.

7. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I always thought that the Sonic World engine showed real potential for a Saturn rival to Mario 64. You know, when all the missions are done and you can use the X (If I recall correctly? It was one of the top three) button to sort of go into 'resident evil camera mode', and you grab onto tails and just watch... you get some amazing views, and the game doesn't lag a bit.

Even when switching from close to long view whilst bouncing up and down on a spring, for a moment it's possible to see almost the entirety of the area, and it doesn't drop a frame! Imagine this engine with levels designed to actually obscure details rather than just having it all slap, BANG! there in an open area of museums. There are rings, flickies, two characters... with the balloons replaced by badniks, for example (They'd be very low-poly but hey) you'd have a basic Adventure template.

Further development, and a Saturn Sonic Adventure game could have been truly epic.

8. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    I knew Sonic Adventure was originally being made for Saturn, but never knew it was using the Sonic World engine. Way cool <3

9. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I always "knew" this. (I assumed, as the animations are like SA)

10. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    He's kinda been doing that as early as Sonic CD. To be honest, I never really liked the wheel-o-feet thing, it required his hips to bend in weird ways. I do like the peel out animation though, every one calls it the figure 8 run, but if you look at the sprites, there's one that's just an oval, telling me that his feet are just being flung around too fast to even follow with the eye. So Nintendo kinda screwed it up for Brawl,l where his feet literally move in a figure 8.
    ...To be honest, I assumed it was common knowledge (at least around here). And I'm not trying to take anything away from love.self.hate, if questioned I wouldn't know where to go to cite it, But I could've sworn I saw it on a Sonic Scene related website.

Also, I REALLY wish Sonic Team had've held off on Burning Rangers till the Saturn could've got a good Sonic game. Had they, I can almost guarantee they'd still be in the hardware game, and I wouldn't have to be fiddling with these terrible D pads.

11. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Well, I wasn't trying to be supercool with some amazing new discovery or whatever. I bought this up on IRC and ScarredSun was like "Scan that shit!", so I did. End of story.

This is, if I'm not mistaken, a community which likes to back up any claims with cited evidence and sources though, so instead of "I heard it somewhere", there's an actual scan to refer to.

12. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    I saw that information ("Sonic World is a prototype of SA") mentioned on Sonic City some months ago, but it's nice to have a scan that confirms it.

13. Dreadknux

Dreadknux

Oldbie
    Interesting! Good scan, I really should pick up more copies of Retro Gamer...

14. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I think wikipedia or somewhere made this claim also, that sonic world was a proto of Sonic Adventure. But it's good to see something to back it up. You got the year and month of that retro gamer issue?

15. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    You really should. It is an amazing magazine, which although the writing is occasionally questionable (It is a collection of freelancers after all, although there's a regular selection of writers, which is nice), the content is A+ -- from beginnings of covering obscure 8-bit computers that nobody cared about for twelve pages at a time, they now seem to have the balance just right; there's something in every issue to interest me.

December 2007, has NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams artwork on the cover and some nice glittery 'snow' on the lettering and such.

16. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    It's not just the freelancers, the sub-editor works on at least one other magazine and thus can't dedicate all that much time to RG. This actually causes mistakes to be introduced rather frequently, and one freelancer has made a rather public call for the removal of the sub-ed.

Anyhow, yes. Retro Gamer is a very good magazine, and while it had some questionable features in the past (Issue 18 of the Live Publishing era had a shockingly inaccurate 32X article), since Imagine Publishing bought the title it has been consistently excellent. I am a subscriber, largely because the price is far more acceptable than the £5 per issue of WH Smith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.