don't click here

Shenmue 3 might be funded through Kickstarter

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Arique, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    Yu Suzuki wants "Shenmue 3" to become a reality, and funding it through Kickstarter might make it happen.
    So... Do you guys think it'll actually happen? Personally, I think it will. I mean, if TWO games originating here on Retro can get successfully backed (Freedom Planet and The 90s Arcade Racer), then I think Shenmue 3 can get backed too.

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    You are comparing the budget of what Shenmue 3 would need to that of Freedom Planet and The 90's Arcade Racer.

The most funded gaming Kickstarter project is Project Eternity by Obsidian, which brought up $3,986,929. The budget for both Shenmue games was 70 million back then. It won't happen and if it does, it probably wouldn't get the funds that are necessary.

3. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Freedom Planet and The 90's Arcade Racer are low budget games. Shenmue cost SEGA over 70 million dollars. I never played the first two games but I can't imagine a worthy followup being fully funded through Kickstarter because the first two games had huge budgets.

Edit-

TimmiT beat me to it, but my explanation is more detailed so w/e.

4. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    If this happens, I can only hope we get HD rereleases of the first two. Some people might not mind it, but I really don't want to buy a Dreamcast and an Xbox just to play all the games in the trilogy.

5. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    They should re-release those games on PSN, XBLA, and Steam before considering the idea of making a Shenmue 3. If the HD re-releases fail to sell decently, then making a Shenmue 3 just wouldn't be profitable unless the sequel made a lot of sacrifices to appeal to a broader audience.

6. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I suppose if he wanted to make a very straight forward game just to wrap up the story he could maybe do it, but it'd still need a ton of cash. I think, frankly, his best bet is just to try and wrap it up with a CG movie. Do SEGA hold the rights to Shenmue's engine and art assets? I suppose theoretically he could just team up use those, use the funds to develop new assets (locations, characters, etc.) and just do it that way a la Shenmue The Movie. I don't know if that would cost him less, but...I just can't really see it going well.

Full Disclosure: I don't know much about when Yu left SEGA so if this post is just stupid please ignore.

Editing again: Yakuza is huge in Japan right? Surely being marketed as the spiritual predecessor to that series could give it some attention.

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The major problem with Shenmue is that it simply isn't marketable. Even with the cult status it may have earned in the last decade, sales will never offset development costs (assuming quality is to be maintained). There's a reason they didn't finish it a decade ago.

It's one of the great tragedies of out time, but such is life. Be thankful they didn't run it into the ground like some Sega franchises.

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Obligatory proof that we already have a Shenmue 3:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDdgKAf6f6U

9. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    You guys keep throwing out that 70 million dollars line, but wasn't the biggest REASON it cost that much because of how long development took? They built the game and designed the engine, then scraped almost the entire thing and moved to the Dreamcast, left a lot of things on the cutting room floor...

According to Wikipedia (the most reputable source on the 'net), the budget for both games combined was $70 million. I'm not saying a Kickstarter the size of Arcade Racer would work, but I think with modern tech and a streamlined plan, it could be significantly less expensive to produce.

10. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Technically the most crowd funded game was Star Citizen, which is up to 8 million dollars as of right now. That and the game was only using crowdfunding to gain investor interest.

But your point stands. Game needs a much larger budget than that. It wouldn't cost nearly as much as the old games, but if you want the game done right it needs it a bit more of a bite.

11. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Oh how I wish my laptop could run Sleepy Dogs. :(

12. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I thought the story and assets were mostly already set to go. If they were to use the same engine and release on Dreamcast, cost shouldn't be too much, just have to dust off the old GD-rom press. Fat chance of this happening, but I view it as the most sensible option.

Costs would skyrocket if you wanted to meet modern standards though.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Shenmue II borrows vast chunks of its assets from the original Shenmue - in a sense it's two halves of the same game

Saturn development costs might be a factor, but my understanding is vast chunks of money went into character animations and graphics technology. Shenmue did some pretty pioneering things - you've got mass conversions of real-world human movements into 3D animation, a multi-hour non-linear 3D adventure, a weather system, voices for every character in the game, unparalleled freedom for era and so on. A lot of its tricks are standard now, but back then it was way ahead of its time. Arguably the rest of the world still hasn't caught up in some cases.

14. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    As for a Shenmue 1 and 2 re-release. There's a rumor that they've been done for quite a while and Sega isn't sure when and if it'll release them:

http://www.gamesradar.com/shenmue-hd-has-been-ready-go-well-over-year-rumor/

I figure a downloadable title on PS3, 360, and steam probably wouldn't be that expensive. Highly detailed graphics aren't as expected of those titles. As also mentioned, modern tools for developing would make creating the game alot cheaper than it would be then. Plus it being released multi-console could help Sega finally make a profit off it. Even better if there were a kickstarter to help with the cost of development.

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Not really, Shenmue with modern graphics and standards would still cost a lot to make, possibly more than the first two Shenmue games together. Also, according to the source of the 70 million number Shenmue 1 alone took 70 million to make.

16. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Sega, if the HD versions are done, what possible reason could you have for not releasing them? It's not costs, it won't cost much to release them, and you know people will buy this up.

And it would certainly be nice to see the games on a platform I own. So, something besides XBLA and PSN.

17. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    As for ports of Shenmue 1 & 2, there is this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLHOjeZ8hO8

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I don't think there are enough Sega fans with enough disposable income to fully kickstart Shenmue 3. But I do believe they'd be able to scrounge up enough cash to garner investor interest. But really, if Shenmue 3 is going to be made, it's going to have to do things differently. Shenmue 2 would not fly today.

19. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I will seriously put every penny I own into this.

20. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I would be willing to pay a lot more than I normally would buy a game for, (mainly because Shenmue 2 was one of my favorite Dreamcast games) but I also agree that it's unlikely for this work out.

They should probably start with a kickstarter to re-release the first two with some graphical updates to bring the games closer to today's graphical standards. They were amazing back then, but some higher resolution textures, models, and lighting improvements would probably help them get new people to play it and possibly expand interest in the third. A few million would probably be enough for a good refreshed port.

I'd assume that some work was already done on the 3rd, based on the two screenshots they released of it on shenmue.com long ago, and the fact that so many pieces of Shenmue 2 were running on the Saturn even before the first one came out on Dreamcast. The Yakuza team manages to churn out a new game every year, and although those aren't nearly the scale of Shenmue, I think it's similar enough that it shows that a 3rd might be possible on a more reasonable budget nowadays.