don't click here

Sega's VF5 April Fool's Joke Thread of Awesome

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by grap3fruitman, Apr 1, 2010.

2. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I dunno what the fuck I just watched but I lol'd

3. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Holy shit, I actually like the looks of this in a "damn it, why aren't they turning this April Fool's into a Fighters Megamix 2" kind of way.

Make it happen, Sega. :3

4. It's a joke at Street Fighter's expense. Akira = Ryu, red gi dude is Ken, etc.

5. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I sorta gathered that.

I'm just saying that I actually did like the looks of what was shown, and wish they'd take the work that went into making it and use it as the basis for a Fighters Megamix 2. Because I'm a fanboy like that.

6. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Might as well just make Sega vs. Capcom. I'd buy it.

7. Otama Sanshiro

Otama Sanshiro

~Phantom of Blue~ Member
    It's nice to have other fighters to have a Ten Foot Toss for a change. But Akira's Stun Palm of Doom? In MIDAIR? Hot damn, I'd buy it in a jiffy.

8. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    If this was real, I'd so buy it on day 1. :v:

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I want this to be real. ;_;

10. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I'd buy Capcom vs. Sega.

(You'll know what I did there if you know shit about your fighting games.)

11. to be fair, it's tough to think of a Sega fighting game that's sucked at all, and it'd be interesting to see if they could "convert" Street Fighter characters to "Virtua" style.

Taking a step back, though - is this VF version gonna come out stateside?

12. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I see your claim (even Last Bronx was sorta tolerable) and raise you Golden Axe: The Duel. :P

13. I've come to realize that the worst part about April Fool's Day is that there are some really good ideas that come around and turn out to be obviously fake.

14. Blast! One of the few I never got to touch. Figures.

That one probably goes way back, too. Hrm.

I kinda wish Sega would make some more non-Virtua Fighters. I mean, we're overdue for a Fighters Megamix 2 with House of the Dead, Shenmue, Yakuza, Monkey Ball... O:

15. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    That was genuinely awesome, I'd love to see something like that in an actual release. Also, yes Sega does need to do fighting crossover things.

Hopeful answer: Maybe!
    Realistic answer: Definitely not, unless a console port is on the cards.

Sega dithered over the Western arcade release of Virtua Fighter 5 until the PS3 version was already on the shelves and the X360 version had been announced. It ended up appearing in July 2007 or so, by which point the Japanese had already had it for a year. As a result, operators lost all confidence in a game that's already a hard sell outside of Japan, and thus Sega Amusements USA/Europe (delete as applicable) declined to officially release Virtua Fighter 5 R. If they'd just made their minds up, we might have had a different outcome.

16. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Please, as if they're consistent about the naming. Marvel didn't make Marvel vs. Capcom, nor did Tatsunoko make Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.

Obviously I was implying Capcom would make it. Sega's fighters are okay, but I always preferred Street Fighter to Virtua Fighter.

17. In short: Sega of Japan still doesn't fucking know how to sell a game stateside.

We need Kalinske back.

18. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    No, no and thrice no. Sega's Japanese department didn't make the decision, and having Kalinske around wouldn't have made a difference because the arcade and consumer branches have different management.

If you want to lay blame for this, it's squarely at the feet of the Western-managed Sega Amusements USA/Europe (for dithering on release) and arcade operators (for not buying fighting games).