don't click here

SEGA Return to the Hardware Market (Kind Of)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Neowl, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    In what might be the most unexpected news of the year so far, Sega have decided to return to the hardware market. Having partnered up with Japanese PC retailer Enterbrain, Sega are due to release a series of Netbooks. What makes these so appealing though is that they happen to be branded up in the style of a classic Sega console.

While this might not be the Sega revival we were all hoping for, it does, however, touch upon their colourful gaming past. The Sega Note PC features a changable outer case in the style of either a Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast or a generic Sega blue colour. Clearly the gaming giant of yesteryear is very much hoping that gamers are feeling nostalgic.

Unfortunately though, these new systems will not come populated with retro games nor emulators - something they could have easily capitalised on here. Having said that, these systems seem more than capable of running the older games, at least if the specs are anything to go by.

But actually getting our hands on one of these computers might be rather difficult. Not only are they rather expensive (Between ¥99,750 and ¥194,250 (approx. £700 to £1,300), but Sega sadly has no plans to release them internationally.

(from Retro Collect)

[​IMG]

The Japanese product page is right here.
    Edit: Full specs for each of the laptops here

2. dsrb

dsrb

So, the top-end model is distinct in having BD-writing capability - and also comes with 'each baking sheet ? "MD" "SS" "DC" ', according to Google Translate. What I hope this means is (A) it's possible to get the Sega Saturn one at full specs and (B) I can has.

But not really, at least if it was sold internationally but didn't dramatically fall in price. The specs aren't anything to write home about. Spending the same amount of money on an Acer or something would get you 3 GHz, 16 GB, and all kinds of mad shit.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    God damn it, I was going to do a news post on this on the front page. =P Never mind.

4. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Well, I suppose I should cancel my vacation to Thailand and hop next door to Japan and snag me a Mega Drive-skinned laptop. :D

5. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    This probably would make a good front page post though, even if it's not released in the US.

6. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    With SEGA's strong support of the PC platform lately, this seems like a logical move to me. Can't wait until the SEGA themed Steam boxes come out. :v:

You should do it anyways. It would probably get more attention than this thread.

7. Skaarg

Skaarg

God you have no idea how badly I want both the Saturn and the Dreamcast models. Too bad I only have about $1000 to spend on a new laptop. =(

8. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Hmm. Makes me wonder what a Dreamcast or Saturn themed Desktop case would look like...

9. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Would be cool if it had a intro like the consoles bios when it starts up. Or at least settings to change which intro there is.

10. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    I'm sorely tempted to get the Mega Drive one, and mod an external DVD writer into a Mega CD case.

11. Dan Lioneye

Dan Lioneye

UK
    How's about a whole PC modded into MD1/MCD1 cases? Probably already been done though. :(

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    For all rational thought I currently have, the most I have to say is...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL8yVJLtvO8

But seriously, gonna grab me a Mega Drive one as soon as I can, once I go over to Japan with my uncle.

13. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Looking at the specs, it looks like the various iterations are just faceplate swaps. Yeah, I'd definitely have liked to see these loaded with old games, or some oddity like a GD drive on a separate Dreamcast looking model.

Oh well. It comes out in June, so that is a while to save up your change if you can get it imported. I'm just questioning weather or not it's even worth it. Also, my google fu is failing me so far, so is that graphics card integrated or not? I know it's a mobile card, but IIRC that doesn't necessarily mean integrated.

14. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    http://www.tmeeco.eu/BitShit/IlaikMaiLaptop.jpg

:P

15. Nado The Rabbit

Nado The Rabbit

Dork Next Door Member
    Canada
    I'm currently working on my Sonic fanfiction, Carnation.
    These look great! I'd get any one of them. (Although probably not the Saturn, since I've never owned one. Lol.) If only I were able to go to Japan, and I had the money for a laptop, I'd snatch one the moment I could.

Even if they're still not working on consoles again anytime soon, this is still a pretty big step I'm happy with. Hopefully these end up selling well, Sega's in need of making some money.