don't click here

Sega Genesis speakers?

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Shadow Hog, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Showed up on eBay for $60. Can't say as I have any need for another set of speakers, and apparently these aren't very well shielded, but interesting to see. The auction's ending in like an hour, though, so it'll be over before most of you notice it.

According to some friends on NeoGAF who discovered this thing and were discussing it, you could get them for free when you bought a Genesis in the early 1990s (using a packed-in pamphlet, one of which also showed up on eBay coincidentally). A little surprised I couldn't find an article on the wiki about these (searched for "speakers" and "speaker", came up empty-handed).

2. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    My friend had these when the Genesis was tops. I'm pretty sure he had a SEGA branded game stand too.

The ones in the pamphlet are a different model, or at least a different revision.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOM01F4Ihcc

US only - they're designed to be plugged into the Model 1 headphone socket so you can hear games in stereo. Obviously became a bit pointless when they changed the console design, and any similar speakers will do. They look like cheapo things today but I get the feeling in twenty years ago they might have been considered pretty nifty.

Oh and for the record the above refers to March 1990.

(p.s. feel free to make the wiki page)

4. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    I like how that ad is mathematically challenged (unless they actually gave two pairs of stereo speakers away).

5. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    I had a pair of those speakers without any Sega branding, bought from Argos in the UK in about 1990, IIRC. Long since thrown away.

I can't recall if they had any branding on them (might have been Goodmans), but it's a good bet they were a cheap generic speaker model cranked out of a Chinese factory and stamped with all sorts of different brand names.

Hardly great quality looking back, but in an era when I didn't have a stereo TV having those plugged into my Atari ST and MD was like listening with new ears.

6. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

This isn't the first time I've seen these, I even saw them in the UK: not sure if they were branded Genesis or MegaDrive though. I can't imagine they're fantastic, but I've owned similar speakers and they are usually decent, especially for playing old games on. Still, a nice collectors item, especially if you already have the complete set of console, Mega CD and Master System Converter, which would make your console look like a souped up badass.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021