don't click here

Sega CD Backup RAM cart

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Flygon, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Flygon

Flygon

I don't know where else to make this topic, so... shoot.

I scanned the manual of the Japanese Sega CD RAM cart not too long ago, and, because the total filesize of the 7z is 70 megabytes (That's around 4.4 megabytes a page, I scanned at 600dpi), I obviously cannot upload it. So, for obvious reasons, someone that can upload it to the Wiki will have to upload it for me. Get your completely untainted scans here.

For fun, I also scanned the label sheet that comes with the Jap Sega CD RAM cart, click here to view it, unfortunately, one of the labels was already pasted onto the cart by the time it was shipped to me.

I already scanned the box completely, but I'm willing to take any more imagery needed for the Wiki entry if required.

So, what's the point of this topic? Well, it's a way for me to try and get the damn manual scan uploaded to the Wiki, but it's also a way of expressing my effective cluelessness about how to contribute to Sega Retro, even when I have some resources. That, and Scarred Sun scares the piss out of me, so, well, I've been a bit afraid of contacting her regarding Wiki stuff... and that pretty much exhausts the list of people I know that could help me.

If there is anything wrong with this topic, feel free to lock it or the such, all the purpose of it is really is to get some Japanese Sega CD RAM cart stuff out there.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The idea is to cover everything even remotely related to Sega, so if you've got scans of boxes, cartridges, discs, flyers or whatever that'll be useful.

As it stands only the surface has been scratched. In the end (if there's ever an end), the site should cover every single game released for a Sega console, and every single game created by Sega, along with loads of details about their consoles, the company, the arcade machines, the affiliates, the crazy products that nobody knows about and pretty much anything else with "SEGA" attached somewhere (sans the stuff with "SONIC" attached too, because that goes to Sonic Retro). It's a massive job. Don't judge solely on what's up there already since a lot of it was taken from other sites with incomplete sets of resources.

If you've got content but aren't too sure how to categorise it or whatever, that's probably not a problem since someone like me can fix it. Up to this point there's only been a small handful of people working on pages so there's masses of work that can be done.

I would point out that the Scanning guide recommends 300 dpi rather than 600 though, but it's better than nothing at all.

3. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    As for uploading, we have a 5MB limit set right now so your scans aren't going to fit be they 300dpi or 600dpi, so if you want them uploaded contact a wiki sysop or admin to have it taken care of. Also the manual scan should be in CBR format (a RAR file with the .rar changed to .cbr and with special filename formatting); see here.

And when it comes to the wiki you really shouldn't be afraid of talking to Scarred Sun ;)

4. Mainman

Mainman

Dancing to some sort of Apocalyptic Rave Member
    Scotland
    'Sonic the Comic' research & documentation
    If the scans were all individually under 5MB in size, then you have the choice of uploading them in that manner (individually), copy-pasting descriptions and templates as necessary. It's not ideal, but the end result is the same, and it doesn't take much longer. Site admins should only really be contacted for large uploads that can't have their filesizes compromised, which usually means MP3 files and EXEs.

I won't pretend to know the precise reasons for the filesize limit, or why even something as high-up as a Wiki Sysops can't shirk it, but I've fallen afoul of it several times and halfheartedly wish there was a new tier of membership (or alteration of existing tiers) to change it, relative to how much one would sensibly require. That's just conjecture on my part though.

Do continue scanning at 600dpi, but before you upload a scan you should follow this guide's advice of scaling it down to the equivalent of 300dpi (ie. shrink it by half). It goes a long way towards creating great-quality images while negating the 'moire' pattern effect.

5. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    This is for Sonic Retro only. For Sega Retro, we prefer CBR format. Unless you received word-of-mouth from SS?

6. Mainman

Mainman

Dancing to some sort of Apocalyptic Rave Member
    Scotland
    'Sonic the Comic' research & documentation
    Nah, that's my inexperience with Sega Retro contributions talking there. I understood your recommendation of CBR over other archive filetypes when it comes to images, but wasn't aware that Sega Retro highly prefers image archive uploads over individual image uploads.

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Well again it's because of the sheer scale of Sega Retro. If every Mega Drive game for example gets itself three covers (JP, US, EU) and we assume there's about 800 Mega Drive games out there, that's 2400 manuals for a complete set.

And that's just Mega Drive manuals.

though I suspect it's the same as Sonic Retro for smaller manuals, I.e. the small stuff that's distributed on one or two sheets of paper.

8. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Yeah that's what we have in some cases now since that makes sense :U

In any case what's going to happen to Flygon's manual?

9. Flygon

Flygon

So basically, I just have to downsize the scans by 50% and install WinRAR? The whole 300dpi thing doesn't really make that much sense to me, but, if it's the guidelines... it's the guidelines... as much as I might not understand them.

10. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    While Sonic Retro manuals are stored as individual images, Sega Retro manuals need to be CBRs, yes.

As far as getting this particular manual (and a few others I have sitting and waiting to be uploaded), there is an issue with the newest version of MediaWiki—because the maintainers of the script enjoy changing things for seemingly arbitrary reasons, the uploading tool we use to place large files in the system is broken. It can be fixed relatively easily, but I don't know enough about the new changes to do it and will probably just hire someone to do it. Until then, I can't do anything with this either way.

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Are we missing the US manual scans? Because I have the manual for the US Ram cart.

The menacer manual as well. And the Sega Scope 3D glasses manual. Basically a whole bunch of semi-obscure stuff with their manuals at my house haha.

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    If it's not up there, it'll need scanning. And none of those are up there... so they all need scanning.

Honestly the question should probably be "what DOES Sega Retro have" rather than what doesn't it have. It's only just scratching the surface at the moment.