don't click here

SADX/SA1 Hacking/Modding

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Aug 15, 2009.

1. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Here. I usually use it with SADX trainer to switch characters on the fly.
    also note- go into trial mode, activate "Mystic Ruins Past", then select some stage. you should see the title card for the stage you selected but after that you'll be in the past.
    if that doesn't work, try again.

2. The Impossible Dingo

The Impossible Dingo

Socially maladjusted Member
    Sydney, Australia
    My game with an extremely long name!
    Thanks! Haven't had the chance to test it yet, but when I do I'll post any findings.

EDIT: It doesn't seem to recognise the game. :colbert:

3. Ravenyte

Ravenyte

I pity you. Love isn't part of your programming. Member
    I'm not sure if you/other people know this (or if this is the right place to mention it), but there's a tool called Fusion's Chao Editor which you could say acts as... well, a chao editor. It can do everything the beta menu can do and it explains what you're changing in a visual way which is kinda neat. But it's only for PC, so take what you will.
    (I'm not saying this to stop you from exploring, I just wanted to let you know ; w;)

4. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Yeah, Fusion is the one who wrote the documentation I used when I was hacking about with Chao in general. It just so happens that it lead me to this debug menu.

5. Ravenyte

Ravenyte

I pity you. Love isn't part of your programming. Member
    Ah, all right, sorry for the misunderstanding. I just wanted to make sure.

6. The Impossible Dingo

The Impossible Dingo

Sydney, Australia
    Just another question, is it at all possible to make a character mod compatible with the Mod Loader? Whenever I try it overwrites the dll and either removes the mod or I have to use the un-modloaded version, which frankly sucks.

7. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    It's currently possible with the mod loader, but it's basically completely broken. I've been working on it slowly.

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Basically you'd have to extract the model(s) from the DLL and use DLLModGenerator to create a mod, along with probably some custom editing which is not very well understood at present. There's a reason why the only mod loader compatible character edits are simple partial model replacements (which were done entirely by hand).

9. The Impossible Dingo

The Impossible Dingo

Sydney, Australia
    Alright, thanks anyway. Hopefully it becomes easier in the near future. I just wish I had some skill to lend in order to assist.

10. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I just threw together an awesome tool that I wanted about 16 years ago:
    http://projects.sappharad.com/tools/sadc-vms-decrypt.zip

This tool will decrypt (and encrypt) the VMS download events for Sonic Adventure. This gives you easy access to the data inside them, like PVR textures, models, text, etc. This works as either a command-line or GUI application. If the files aren't specified via command line, (or you run the EXE by double clicking) you'll get file open and save dialogs instead. To re-encrypt a save file, just run the tool again on the decrypted file. Source code is included. Credit for the algorithm goes to Darksecond on assembler games. He had posted it for someone looking to decrypt ranking data uploads for the website, and I took that and tried it on the VMS event files and saw that it was the same encryption.

Command line use:
    sadc-vms-decrypt <inputFileName> <outputFileName>

Now that we can decrypt & encrypt these, it might be possible to modify some of the region-locked contests/events to work in all regions. You can also extract the models and textures for the XMAS download, for example. Unfortunately, I haven't made any efforts to figure out the file format. I don't have plans to in the near future, but I hope someone else wanted this too and might be interested in digging around. You'll easily find PVR's inside the decrypted VMS due to having the easily recognizable PVRT header. I hope someone gets some use out of this.

11. The Impossible Dingo

The Impossible Dingo

Sydney, Australia
    Now this is interesting. I should check this out. But sadly I'm useless and lazy ;_;

12. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vy7YOQepZU

Code is here. Still messing with it.

13. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Holy shit, you actually put it in. Very impressive.

Adding Tails co op to SA1 was a nice touch by the developers, but it was even less involved than it was in 2D. Adding in this ability at least gives it some fun utility.

P3 though? What's your plans here?

14. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    That's just from the multitap mod. I had code set up to toggle redirecting input from P1 to P3 since I used my DS4 and my mostly-dead 360 controller for P1 and P2, but I didn't have my second one plugged in, so I just went into mission mode and manually spawned Tails with the input redirection. That being said, I did get it working with 2P Tails after I recorded that video which results in some cool stuff, like Tails safely carrying Sonic to the ground in Windy Valley after you pop out of the tornado.

15. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Did Tails follow Sonic around in the Adventure fields as well? I can't quite remember.

If so this could have made item searching in the fields more intuitive. Even the player labels are helpful in large 3D landscapes.

Is it possible to get any of Sonic's animations to match up to Tails' flying by the way? Does he have any 'clinging' ones that fit the part?

I'm intrigued to what 3-4 player mode could achieve, I always liked the idea of more multi player in SA1.

16. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Tails doesn't spawn in adventure fields normally, but he can be made to quite easily as far as I know. As for the animation, I can definitely do it (and I was thinking that the zip-line animation used in Red Mountain would be great), but the problem is that animation IDs are character-dependent. I'd have to either do it only for Sonic, or find an equivalent for each character, and I don't think most of them have an equivalent. There are a few candidates for non-Sonic character animations, though, like the rocket-hold animation or the monkey bar animation, but they're not quite as nice. On top of that, if I need to force an action change, I could break things like Super Sonic, so I'd also need to do specific detection for that. That's not to say that it's out of the question, but it would just take time to implement.

Also, one major flaw that I need to tackle is escaping Tails's grasp. I have it set up so that holding B will just drop you down, but you can't jump like you could in Sonic 3 for example.

17. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    If I recall correctly, when I tried forcing Tails to load in fields a few years ago, cutscenes crashed the game.

18. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Good stuff Morph! You planning on adding that into Better SADX?

Also, I've always been curious, has there ever been a mod to get rid of the multi-tails effect Tails has when playing as him alone, and make them regular like it is when following Sonic?

19. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    I don't manage BetterSADX, but I'd allow it once it's somewhere near finished. Also probably not, but also probably doable.

Unrelated vastly improved (and automatically expanding) object clipping distance:
    http://I.imgur.com/IhycIcy.png -> http://I.imgur.com/nEwlVOr.png

20. Turbohog

Turbohog

Wow, that is a huge improvement! Great work Morph! I love seeing work like this being done in the Adventure games.