don't click here

S2B and S2F - the Rings and Counters

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Icy Guy, Nov 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Icy Guy

Icy Guy

Hedgehog. Sonic the Hedgehog. Member
    California
    GoldenEye 007 level hack
    The other day, I was reading the Tech Hoax topic, and something strange caught my eye. No, it wasn't one of the hoaxes (great job on those, btw), but something that was contained in one of the hoaxes, prompting me to whip up a comparison...

[​IMG] < Final

[​IMG] < Beta

(Tails is always too slow for me, so that's why he's not in the bottom pic.)

It appears that, in our beta, the rings actually overlap the score/time/rings display, whereas, in the final, they don't. The strange thing is, this happens to contradict this screen, on the site...

[​IMG]

Lo, and behold, the rings do not overlap the counters.

Weird, huh? I can't think of an explanation as to why shots 2 and 3 are different, but I'm sure there is one. I don't believe that Tails has any bearing on this, because, upon testing this in ARZ with Tails onscreen, the rings still were displayed over the counters. I also tested this in Genecyst (I was using Gens when I took these shots, which, btw, are compressed as GIFs to spare you the agony of loading 200 KB bitmaps), just to see if it was just a glitch in Gens. It wasn't.

Your thoughts?

2. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Interesting.

Hmmn... This forum starts to be like A51 was back in 2002. I like it when people start their own research. Continue that!

EDIT: whaa! This is your first post. Welcome to the S2B messageboard. Enjoy your stay! :)

3. Chronix

Chronix

ditto. welcome aboard!

4. Mecha Mazgoth

Mecha Mazgoth

Unleash thy fury. Banned
    Bowels of Hell!!!!
    Super Sonic part1: The Beginning
    Hello! Welcome to Hell- *shot* -I mean....Welcome to S2B!! :)
    [​IMG]

5. Bleeding Cut

Bleeding Cut

Dr. Knuckles Member
    Sensing newbie nearby.......

Attached Files:

6. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    that IS intersting, because if S2B was built over the Sonic 1 engine then why do they overlap the status counters? plus, the last shot (that was from the site) doesn't add up either, perhaps Simon knows that one?

7. Chronix

Chronix

I don't know Jack! what do you mean built over the S1 engine?

8. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    yeah, they used the same engine as S1 for S2 (obviously modified).

9. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    They used the same engine for Sonic 1, Sonic 1 JP, Sonic 2 Beta, Sonic 2, Sonic 2 Rev.02, and Knuckles in Sonic 2.

10. TechSonic

TechSonic

Newbie detected!

Launching all missiles!

XD!!!!!!

That is an interesting image. I looked at it myself and saw the same in my beta. I wonder why it was like that.

11. Icy Guy

Icy Guy

California
    GoldenEye 007 level hack
    Hm...where to start? ;) I know: I'll get the "thank you"s out of the way:

I'll just kind of gloss over the "newbie" comments and consider those to be welcomes. Thanks everyone. :) (I've actually been visiting the site for well over the year, and I've been lurking around the forums for a few months, but I thought it might be time to actually create an account...imagine that.)

I've come up with a possible explanation as to why the rings are doing this in S2, but not in S1: the backgrounds. It seems to me that S2's backgrounds have more layers (can anyone confirm or squash this?), and if the S2 backgrounds have more layers than S1's, then it stands to reason that, somewhere in the time during S2's development/the modification of S1's engine, they would have to program the game to recognize/handle the presence of additional layers. While creating the code, there may have been a glitch that would cause the rings to be stacked the highest in the layer order, resulting in their overlapping of the counters.

I'm curious to see if enemies will overlap the counters, too, but I'm going to have to try that tomorrow.

12. TechSonic

TechSonic

Interesting...

Did you have to quote that much?

13. Mecha Mazgoth

Mecha Mazgoth

Unleash thy fury. Banned
    Bowels of Hell!!!!
    Super Sonic part1: The Beginning
    *waps TechSonic for acting stupidly*

I don't think Simon has that... cheak his site.
    Great discovery either way! :)

14. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Sonic 2 uses more bg layers than Sonic 1, but I don't think it uses more layers that Sonic 1 JP.

We know that the rings were reprogrammed somewhere during the Sonic 2 development. Craig says in his interview that an early beta had no rings, so the game was no fun to play.

The rings needed to be reprogrammed because of Tails, I think, but I don't know. We also know about the perfect bonus that you can get if you took all the rings in the level.

And the biggest reason for reprogramming the rings is that the rings now are seperated from the object list. In Sonic 1 the rings and objects shared the same list, not they don't. This can have to do with the perfect bonus too.

15. TechSonic

TechSonic

I find big quotes annoying. They should only be quoted if a message follows, most of those didn't have a following message. By the way, I like fish, mmmm.

16. The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Never really posted Member
    Flash Animations
    Hey, what's up Icy. You've got into the world of Sonic hacking as well?

Anyways, interesting discovery. Lost, one question: Is it a case that the rings are still separated from the normal objects list in S2 final? I'm going to assume yes, but I would like to make sure this is still the case.

17. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Yes, the rings are seperated, having their own list in Sonic 2 Beta and above versions

18. Icy Guy

Icy Guy

California
    GoldenEye 007 level hack
    Yep. About time, too. :)

Well, I've gone and checked to see if enemies would overlap the counters. They don't (see attached).

Hm...then that might actually be the reason as to why the rings overlap the counters (given the [likely] possibility that S1 JP and S2 use the same number of layers), and the enemies don't.

Attached Files:

19. heh...I've known about that for a while now the ring counters look pretty much the same to me..

20. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    Ok... I did a little research and found that enemies appear behind the rings in both Sonic 2 Beta and Sonic 2 Final. In Sonic 2 Final, this seems ok, but in Sonic 2 Beta, when I think about it... if the rings are front of the counter, and the enemies appear behind the counter, but also appear behind the rings... my head hurts. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.