don't click here

S2:AE update topic/ rika needs help topic

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Rika Chou, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I am trying to get back into working on this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1,2, or 3?
    What tube looks better? or any suggestions?

Also, I had a go at getting that sand code into working object (about 10 times :() with no luck, so if anyone wants to help me with that I would appreciate it. (Though after that "you all suck at programming" topic, I feel bad for asking for help like this...)

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I like the top one much better—it's got more of a Sonic feel to it with the checkerboard patten.

3. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Top one, but it needs better lighting around the shine.

4. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I say the top one, as Tweaker said the checkered pattern gives it more of a Sonic feel.

5. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    The bottom one is more reminisant of Gigalopolis from Sonic Chaos... I think I'm going to be awkward and say the bottom one simply because the top one looks too "busy" to me.

6. Skaarg

Skaarg

I want to say I like the lines because the rest of your art in the level, from what we can see, has lines rather thand the checkerboard style.

7. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    I say the top one. Reason being is the fact that the tube looks off-shading in the bottom one, shouldn't it go from dark on the outside to light around the middle? That would give it a more 3d and solid shape.

8. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I forgot to mention that the only reason I even drew a second one was because the first one looks way to much like the tubes in LBZ. Also, I guess it does look a bit busy.

Edit: Added a third choice.

9. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    If you ask me, the top one is perfect besides the light line. If you change it so the texture is under it, that'd be amazing.

10. I personally like the top tube the most - there just seems to be something wrong with the other two I can't quite place my finger on.

Hmm - I just tried it right now, and it seems to function properly. It's invisible (the art for it, I believe, was part of Sandopolis' main level art), but the sinking, releasing and jumping parts work. Are you sure you didn't leave the subtype blank when placing the object? If you did, the object width will be taken as 0 and so obviously collisions won't work. The complete object which works for me (with a subtype setting of $20 as a test, though it can be anywhere between 1 and $3F to specify different widths) can be found here (linked to because asm boxes seem to screw up tabbing).

Also, I really don't think Jman's topic should make you feel bad at all. As far as I can see, Jman's post was aimed at those who just blindly follow tutorials to add features without really understanding anything, don't attempt to do anything themselves and then think they know ASM, without actually even understanding how to program. You've never claimed to be good at ASM coding and you always try for yourself before asking for help.

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I'm big on the bottom of the three.

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    1st: PLZ NO
    2nd: decent
    3rd: WIN

13. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Awesome, it works perfectly. Now I can finally start work on my desert level again, thanks! :(

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Ha, that checkered pattern looks much better than mine. I'm leaning toward the "EDIT 2" that ICEknight posted, I really like how it looks.

16. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I'd have to agree - the dithering's been used effectively on it, it has a nice shapely feel (ICEknight's "EDIT 1" looks a little flat in comparison), and I think the smooth tubes just fit the level better. From what I've seen, there's no other checkered areas in the level, so the checkered tubes seem a little out-of-place to me.

Looks like the design of this Zone is gradually becoming more and more inspired by Gigalopolis Zone. =P Not that that's any bad thing. = ) Come to think of it, didn't Neo Gigalopolis end up replacing Roof Top Zone as the name of this level? Or am I remembering incorrectly? It'd certainly explain a few things anyway, heh.

17. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    [​IMG]

???

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I'm feeling D for best stylistic redesign. If you're going for accuracy to the original sprite, though, then A is probably best.

19. Skaarg

Skaarg

I agree with Tweaker, if you're going for accuracy choose A, but I like B better if you're wanting something a little different.

20. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Either B or D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.