don't click here

Rust

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by doc eggfan, Nov 14, 2012.

1. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Ok, I've cracked open my Atomiswave (fuck Sammy, how many screws do you really need) and the metal plating around the fan is rusty as hell. I can only surmise that it was used in a salty/damp environment and Sammy was too cheap to use stainless steel.

Googling rust treatment indicated that sanding it back and treating with WD40 was the way to go, and so I've commenced that procedure. It's coming good, but there is still some evidence of pits that are just a bit deeper than the surface level. I suppose the correct treatment is to keep sanding, but it's boring me to tears and never seems to get any better.

Should I keep going, or is near enough good enough? I'll get some pics up tomorrow

Anyone else have any experience with rusting in regards to electronic equipment/arcade boards?

2. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Any rust left will continue to cause problems. But if you can cover it with something that hermeticizes it, the process will stop. I would just throw the metal parts out (when they are not part of the support construction).

3. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    [​IMG]
    It's a bit blurry, but you can see where some rust remains. The fan sits under that flap

[​IMG]
    Here's the underside of the flap, which I haven't sanded yet, to give you an idea of the rusting

4. Dan Lioneye

Dan Lioneye

UK
    Try a small wire brush attachment on an electric drill or Dremel-type tool to remove the rust. As for prevention, as long as the metal part isn't a heat sink of any variety, I'd paint it.

5. sasuke

sasuke