don't click here

Robotnik's evil traps.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Kamek, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kamek

Kamek

Magikoopa Member
    Here's something interesting I read in the Sonic 3 (not Knuckles) manual while playing Sonic Mega Collection the other day...

Which trap is this manual referring to? The only thing I can think of is the trick in CNZ2 where you can break through the anti-grav platforms to Knuckles' area as Super Sonic and get yourself stuck... but "many" traps? Are there other similar tricks, or is this just their "catch-all" explanation for unusual bugs and glitches?

2. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    Well theres those fish in Hydrocity that latch on to sonic slowly taking away his rings, then at 0 rings he dies. Perhaps its refering to that?

3. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Sounds like glitches you only can get if you are a crazy Japanese running like no other can do. I'm talking about those super Japanese people.

4. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    You mean like the ones that play DDR on hard mode and set the settings to 4x hidden?

5. SadisticMystic

SadisticMystic

a user Member
    silly rabbit, I play MAX 300 on 8x Boost Reverse Stealth.

The traps they're talking about are essentially "Our programmers told us that a few undesirable object collision checks cause the player to get stuck. They also say they aren't getting paid enough for what they do, and can't be bothered to fix those occurrences, so we'll just say Eggman set them up to trap you."

And Carnival Night 2 was completed in 2:27 by me. No idea of any efforts by the Japanese.

6. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    That's pretty stupid, it's better to just wait for a Time Over and continue from the last checkpoint you hit...

7. magraimon

magraimon

A superficial anomaly of the human psyche! Member
    or

If I didn't want to piss people off, I'd go for option two. Waiting for 10 max minutes isn't my idea of a good time. I'd rather reset, and get past that checkpoint in half the time.

8. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    I would reset if I was right at the start of the zone. But otherwise, I'd rather do something else (cough EATING cough) while waiting for those up to 10 mins to pass.

9. magraimon

magraimon

Would you not consider that mayhaps restarting the level, regardless from what point, and playing straight away, rather than waiting however long left till 10mins would be quicker ? Say it had taken you 3 mins to get to a certain point, and you get trapped. that's 7 mins left until you die. In that time, you could have got over twice as far as that point, theoretically. That be why.

10. XFox Prower

XFox Prower

x86 Assembly, Tails Search Assistant
    This is a bad excuse for the many bugs in Sonic 3. I've been stuck in the same wall / floor in Lava Reef 1 a few times from running too fast. The manual tries to blame Robotnik as if it were intentional.

11. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    What if you were in Marble Garden 2? Resetting would make it take around 5-8 minutes to get back to where you were (at the speed I play, anyway, and assuming you don't use Super/Hyper Sonic), and waiting would take about oh maybe 5-6 mins? Besides, if you reset, it would get rid of the lives you earned in that zone.

12. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    (From S3 manual.)

MEANING:

Self-explanatory.

13. Kamek

Kamek

Magikoopa Member
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I assumed, but I couldn't find any such traps in the game other than the aforementioned CNZ2 glitch.

14. I was reading my Sonic 3 and Knuckles manual for the Sonic and Knuckles Collection to see if there was anything that mentioned it. (I know most manuals have some differences in it, depending on which version you use) Then this odd paragraph came to me:

Dr. Robotnik has quickly built a base on Floating Island to harvest the Emeralds. He has kidnapped animals and transformed them into robots, and changed the island's environment into a nightmare with his Environment-Control Machine.

"Yeah! Even if Sonic comes to the island, it's too late! This time the Emeralds are mine!".

Enviroment Control Machine? :huh: I never heard that in the other manuals... Think these are the 'traps' mentioned before? If so, he doesn't use them much... Ice Cap would prolly be the only one I could really think of. Lava Reef was already there before the Death Egg crashed to Angel Island.

~Nytloc

15. Kampfer

Kampfer

Just a guess:

Mushroom hill Zone: The season's changing in Act 2 (with the satelite on the Egg-O-Matic, which Sonic destroys before the boss and the "weather" [Aka the level pallette] goes back to normal).

Lava Reef: The way the lava keeps cooling down and heating up with the Death Egg in the crater of the volcano.

16. magraimon

magraimon

Possibly Sandopolis ? And I guess he muddles with MGZ by drilling it and causing the bit at the end to collapse :huh:

EDIT:
    That makes the most logical sense. I'd go with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.