don't click here

Revisiting the Sonic Crackers Sound Clip

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Qjimbo, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
  2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...They can be played at the correct speed as one of the DAC samples, if you alter the music data. That's the cleanest way to hearing them.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I thought they were "compressed," and instead 4-bit? They could probably be "decompressed" using jman's Sonic 1 sample decompressor.

4. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I can't actually verify that =P That just got us the best response for our money.

5. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

6. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    In case anybody is confused (as Jim initially was) by the sound of the "Let's go" sound, the explanation I put forward is this is due to it being read by a Japanese speaker, not a native English speaker. In Japanese the English word "let's" would be rendered as ??. Each character is one mora in katakana, so the Japanese gives equal time to the ? as to the ? even though the vowel sound is "missing" (very softly spoken) for the ?.

7. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    I know it's good enough to hear already, but if you want them to be "perfect", you need to find the start/end locations for each and decompress them individually instead of as a whole lump. It's easier to tell that doing them all at once causes problems when there's alot of them, as the ones closer to the end of one of the Sonic 3 sets I did got severely screwed up that way

8. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Interesting, how is it possible to find the exact start and finish?

9. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    If it's used by the game, looking at the sound driver would probabl suffice. If it's an unused sample, all I can suggest is trial and error :/

10. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    It is used, and it was sufficient, that's what I was just doing :P

The sample setup list is at 63D8. Similarly to Sonic 3, it's listed with the pitch value first, then the size, then the bank offset pointer, except that the pitch is a WORD in this case instead of a BYTE. Since this is being handled by the Z80, the values are little-endian (you have to byteswap each of the 3 WORDs), and the pointer to the sample is a pointer into the Z80's bank area, which can address Genesis address space in $8000-BYTE banks. In this case, the Z80 is already set to read from the $20000 area. Basically, once the bank window is set, the address you use for the data is (address&$7FFF)+$8000, or, in reverse, the actual address is (offset-$8000)+bankstart

I probably did a terrible job of explaining it, but it doesn't really matter right now anyway since I went ahead and did this myself. You can get the individual samples in compressed, decompressed, and 8bit mono 11khz wav form here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.