don't click here

Questions on sprite preferences

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by RetroKoH, Jul 17, 2011.

1. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Hello. I am creating a fan game, (well, no shit... who would've thunk it) and I need the Retro forum's assistance on what type of sprite preferences they would like....
    Please give me feedback on the following:
    Sonic's sprite style
    Sonic: Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 style?
    Knuckles: His pinkish red Sonic 3 colors or a deeper red (similar to the S1K hack palette)
    Amy: Sonic CD or Sonic Adventure style?
    Title card: The original Sonic 1 banner with the stars and stripes OR the Sonic 3 style checkered banner?

I will have many more questions, and am also looking for sprite artists to assist in some of this fan game in the future... but for now, I'm just looking for preferences from you guys.

2. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Sonic: Personally I think Hez's Sonic Classic sprites (which seem to be a hybrid of Sonic 1 and 3) are perfect! But out of the 2 options I'd go for Sonic 2 style. I'd be happy to knock you up an awesome hybrid of all 3 games if you wanted.
    Knuckles: Pinkish red.
    Amy: Sonic CD
    Title Card: Original

3. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    You ought to use these sprites for Sonic.

The same artist is also making sprites of Tails and the others in the same Classic style, but has yet to make any further progress on those sprites.

4. dsrb

dsrb

I vote Do Not Want; there's way too much contrast between the different shades of blue.

5. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    ...you do realize changing the shades of blue in a sprite like this is actually pretty friggin' easy, right?

I quite like the sprites themselves, myself. He'd also done some work on Tails and Knuckles, but I couldn't find quite as fully-featured a sheet as that Sonic one while looking through his folders.

6. dsrb

dsrb

Sure, but I tend to judge things as they are, rather than as how they might be!

I'll concede that the ‘character’ of the sprites is okay, but that bright shade of blue—and worse, as I've just noticed, all the even brighter off-white dots—are ruining the experience.

7. InstantSonic

InstantSonic

Just add water! Oldbie
    Honestly, I have more respect for people who can create their own original sprites for their games. They make a game identifiable, and to me, creates a more enjoyable experience, because seeing the same sprites/textures (even if they're edited) in fan game after fan game has worn me down.