don't click here

Prototype of Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition... for Genesis?

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Ch1pper, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.

So, the user claims it's a Genesis prototype version of the SNES exclusive "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition". It should not be confused with the first Genesis MMPR game, which was also a fighter (a rather crappy one, that I admittedly enjoyed digging through the protos of for childhood's sake).

Supposedly it's cell phone footage. Claims to be the only one.

If anyone wants to take a crack at debunking it, I'm all ears. I'm not terribly great at debunking video, especially with cell phone quality. Interested in your thoughts.

[​IMG]
    Busting begin!

2. Bad shakeycam aside, I don't see any obvious issues. There is, at the least, Genesis music going with this.

3. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    I'd have to say it looks legit. I'm going to go with the fact it just looks like a genuine port of Fighting Edition. I just wish there was a dump of it. :(

4. Bobinator

Bobinator

My thoughts on your posting Member
    So, as somebody who I have to admit played more of the SNES version of this as I should, I'm actually trying to keep an eye out from differences from the SNES version, if this thing is actually real.

- There's only 2 modes in this version: Arcade and VS. The SNES version has three: Story, Trial, and VS.
    - There's actually an announcer in this version that counts off the rounds. The SNES version doesn't have any announcer at all.
    - The super bars at the bottom of the screen always stay still and blue. In the SNES version, they're always emptying and refilling, and changing color the more super energy you have.
    - When Player 1 loses all their health in the first video, they get up and go into their 'time over' pose, and a song for losing that isn't in the SNES version plays. In the SNES version, they just stay down, and there's no song.

5. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Holy shit. I wasnt expecting something like this. Pretty cool I must say!...
    Also, there are giant portraits on the SNES one, that doesnt appear in this one.

PS. No Dairenoh love in that video :( ...Oh well, at least he showed the Kibadaioh :D!...

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    That "FIGHT!" graphic looks a LOT like the one from Mortal Kombat...

(I admit I've never really played the SNES version of this game so that may well be what they used, so eh =P)

7. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Life.
    The FIGHT! graphic is the same in the SNES final.

Yeah, the music seems newly composed for this version. IIRC, wasn't that somewhat common for ports between the SNES and Genesis?

Outside of that, it claims to be a prototype, so stuff like poses, lack of portraits, etc. could very well be chalked up to just being unfinished.

I hadn't noticed the differing energy bar. I'm wondering if that has something to do with differences between the consoles - Mode 7 and all that. Or maybe just a cosmetic change. *shrugs*

Currently I'm digging through the staff credits of all three SNES PR games to see if Fighting contains the same staff.

8. If it's was real, I'd want a copy of it. Heh, I actually enjoyed the SNES version back in the day.

9. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Prototype? I'm not sure.

Anyone notice the music? Notice how when a battle starts, it says "FIGHT!", a sample which sounds awfully like it was ripped from a street fighter game or the like? The music quality is similar to other Genesis pirates as well. In fact just recently a friend told me there could be a pirate of the SNES game ported to Genesis. I didn't know if it was true, but this almost seems like it could be a pirate, so maybe he wasn't wrong after all.

Maybe I'm looking into too much since I spend a lot of time with pirates :p But t does have certain qualities that suggest so..

10. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Life.
    Ah, good points. That's why I'm hesitant to go straight to Hidden Palace screaming "Proto alert! Proto alert!"

Looking at the title screen, I see that Options is listed first followed by Arcade Mode and VS Mode. Odd choice.
    Suddenly this is looking a bit more like a pirate's work. Damn. I still wanna check it out firsthand. :(

11. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I dunno if you're disappointed, but I'm not :P Always cool to find new Genesis pirates, just when you think they've all been discovered already.

12. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Life.
    I'm only bummed that it seems to be a pirate rather than a real prototype. But yeah, even the novelties of pirated games are still nifty in their own right. Now to convince the owner that it'd be worth dumping...

13. Whether proto or pirate, it's an undocumented game. I'd say it's worth looking into if possible.

14. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I already messaged him on his blog asking for cart pics, since I want to track this thing down myself ;) He hasn't logged onto Youtube for a couple months so I don't know how else to contact him.

15. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Life.
  16. Bobinator

Bobinator

My thoughts on your posting Member
    That's entirely possible now that you bring it up. The thing that really sets me off is that this was a game made by Natsume. If you ever look at a list of the games Natsume's made, like, say, here, you'll noticed Natsume never made any Genesis games. Of course, it's not like they NEVER had plans to, but that's just one more bit of evidence against this so called prototype.

EDIT: Aw, crap, I didn't mean to take so long to actually post this. Oh, well, at least my suspicions were confirmed.

17. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Oh man. Now I really question how he coulda thought that was a proto XD No protos have a label like that, let alone an ID either.

Thanks for finding the pic. I've got a lead for the game now :D Too bad it's a fighter. I only hope someday somone finds Kirby' Super Star, yet another pirate that supposedly exists.

Possibly pointless to mention, but for the curious, the JG in the ID stands for Jin Gang, which is how you read Power Rangers in Chinese.

18. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

this unknown pirate cart could be taken from a prototype. just like the simon wai beta. :P

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...No.

This sounds like a pirate port to me, in the vein of Rockman X3.

20. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Yeah, it's undoubtedly a pirate. I notice now that some of the music is the same as in another fighting pirate, King of Fighters 98. Same game over music, that game even had Power Rangers music in it though it wasn't a Power Rangers game. Now we know the source.