don't click here

Project Needlemouse: old threads

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aquaslash, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't really know how that makes sense. Are they gonna somehow disable the game from your system in four years? If Sega actually pulled any sort of system where the game required constant communication with the main server to stay active, then we'd have a problem - but absolutely no precedent from Sega says as such.

If it's just about about next-gen system jumping, then it'd be more likely that this -wouldn't- be the case - Sega should be able to recognize legitimate purchasers, and offer them a download of the product on the next-gen system free of charge. That way, complaints about "Re-purchasing" would be moot.

It's also not nearly the same issue as "Sonci 1-3k being rehashed over and over again with really shitty ports while SegaSonic arcade is neglected".

(EDIT: Or basically what Chimpo said in a single statement.)

2. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    (Last post as Trial Member and going into Pending Member status)

Really? We're really complaining about the game being a downloadable title? This is SEGA we're talking about! This game WILL be re-released on a physical disc. It might be a bit, but dammit, it's gonna be put on a disc with some other Sonic games. Hell, for all we know it might pop up in the $99 BD Sonic compilation! More than likely won't, but anything can happen with Sega.

Again, I don't care that it's downloadable, but that doesn't mean I'm falling for the new strategy that game companies present us with. I would like to hold in my hands physical media, but for god sakes, if the game's good, (Again, anything can happen with Sega) then who gives a shit if the games retail or not?

Also, I seriously doubt game companies are stupid enough to let their downloadable games die out when XBLA/PSN/Wiiware shuts down for good. Companies could pull off a Sega and release a compilation of the downloadable games onto one or more discs for various systems. I believe Valve did it, but I'm not 100% sure, so my bad if I'm wrong.

I shall now end my opinion-littered rant. Just felt like I should get my 2-cents in before I become a pending member.

3. Of course not, because it wasn't a downloadable game to begin with. Had it been released as a Sega Meganet game we'd be screwed today, we'd only be able to play the game if SEGA let us.

My point is that relying on services is not a good idea, because at some point these services will no longer be provided. If long after the consoles are off the market your console dies and you replace it by an used one, how the fuck are you gonna get your game if the download service is gone as well? We don't know for how long these services will be around.

Companies want things to be disposable, so that you buy what crap they are offering at the time, they don't want you to be in control of anything. IMO people are just playing along, and we will eventually loose all control of what we have.

4. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Well the 360 does have a removable hard drive...

5. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    A Hard drive that can be backed up to a PC, and from there you can burn it to a DVD or CD-RW and play it from a disk. Though only on the console that downloaded it.

(I'm not 100% sure about this, but I know that works for game demos.)

6. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    S3K had masterful storytelling. With no dialogue, the characters all managed to have developed personalities by the end of the game, and it was always clear what was going on, what their motivation was, etc. Honestly, it gives Portal a run for its money, especially given the limitations they worked under.

I don't see what's the big deal about it being downloadable. The only issue is, PS3 owners should use a wired connection to get the game, because PS3 has shit wireless.

7. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I don't care what direction they go with this game, but I'd like the story to be as simple as possible, something along the lines of Sonic 2. Some cutscenes displaying actions between Sonic & Robotnik, but not much else is required.

8. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    You run smack into DRM, you either need to be signed onto XBL via the profile that downloaded or be on the console that first downloaded it.

9. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    You are attributing efficiency to SEGA. This is a mistake.

SD card just temporarily moves it into flash; that's useless.

10. This is actually a really good point, what will people do when new consoles arrive? DLC doesn't exactly transfer for obvious reasons. :/

Still, these services are really convenient, as certain games wouldn't (and probably couldn't) go for full price and would be too expensive to actually release at a low price but in the same format. Personally, I can't think a good solution.

Slightly off topic: I've been wondering about when the translation to new consoles will actually be. I'm guessing it'll still be about another year or so with Natal and whatever Sony has coming out.

11. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Umm, am I the only one that knew from the begining that it was only going to be downloadable??

I kinda figured that was common knowledge...

12. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I'm just hopping it will be 2D. Might be able to get sprites...well maybe not. Even so, I just hope it doesn't suck.
    Although I wish it was a WiiWare game. However, I was convinced it was when I saw "HD".

13. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Well, this is great news all round!

Because if we DID have a physical release, it may very well have been a classic Sonic IN the box... but there's every chance we would've ended up with this stupid looking shitbag ON the box. Case in point, the Sonic CLASSIC Collection [​IMG].

As for the low budget? Fucking great news! It means there'll be no money to pay voice actors (apart from the one that says "bubble" of course.)

14. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion

EDIT: Why do people still bitch about the boxart of Classic Collection? It was the same way for Mega Collection, it's no big deal. Besides, the modern look isn't even bad.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    But I bet by the time that happens years down the road we will probably be able to use the power of emulation to play these games on our computers.

16. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Because he looks like shit, that's why! Keep him on the box for all the shitty Advance/Thrush titles you want, but to put him on Retro collections is fucking disrespectful!

It's like putting Christian Bale on the boxart for the 60's Batman series, or superimposing Daniel Craig on the old Bond films.

17. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Hey, Sonic Advance 1 is awesome, even if the character designs are shitty.

Meh; I don't really care. The nine-year-olds that are SEGA's target audience might not recognize Sonic's classic design; so, modern assface goes on to attract their eye.

18. I hope so, but emulation doesn't seem to be progressing as well as it used to. Last time I checked there wasn't even a reliable emulator for the Dreamcast, which is already a pretty old system.

19. A bad comparison. Meganet doesn't even do permanent storage. The difference here is that -a downloaded game is downloaded-. You can take it's data, copy it to something else, examine it, hack it, whatever!

"long after the consoles are off the market" are when emulation takes off like crazy and this stuff will be pirated anyway. Even those Meganet titles you were referring to went that way eventually - and who knows? Sega Channel might not be too far behind! If I just have that Satellaview stuff, I'll be happy as a hoot-owl.

Really, the DLC iss it currently is isn't too much different from how in the past, game companies used completely proprietary cartridge formats. They attempt to control what games people play, and then people hack their way into getting more access. Just that now, the storage mediums have changed, and the internet can play a factor.

Theoretically, Sega could design something in the vein of Sega Meganet/Sega Channel again where you have to re-download every time you want to play. That's about the worst that can happen - oh wait, it's happened more in the past than in the current day, hasn't it?...

EDIT: Also, last I heard Dreamcast emulation was very good by this point.

20. corneliab

corneliab

Man, if only you were a teensy bit more self-aware. You might actually be able to stop yourself before you show everyone how much of laughably whiny, overreactive, and, purist douche you're making yourself out to be.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with that box either. The modern art design isn't terrible (hell I prefer it over the classic design), and the box's checkered background and floating rings do a nice job of giving the game a fittingly retro vibe regardless.

That's like, completely assinine. We're not talking about actors or real people here: it's a freaking drawn character. You didn't see people losing their minds when those Mario Vs. Donkey Kong games came out and they didn't use those god-awful Jumpman or original DK designs.

...all that aside though, if this new Sonic game is going to be a return-to-basics approach, it would probably be in their best interest to ditch the modern design. Though it's not really a deal breaker to me as long as the game is good, most people associate "glory days Sonic" with a certain design. It's not really a big deal at all for something like a compilation, seeing as how the main draw for those aren't so much how they look as much as their being compilations, but for a new game made to appeal to fans of those older titles, it's sort of a common-sense decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.