don't click here

Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Apr 25, 2013.

Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

1. YES, count me in, I would love to play this game.

261 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. I may play the game, (not sure how I feel about it yet.)

43 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Nope! Game looks like shit. I love only modern HD games.

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    [​IMG]

2. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    No idea why I've uploaded this shit...

AXSX Modeling and CD remix shader technologies Part 1 ! !

The following video is quite boring, But please skim threw some of it to get a feel of what went on behind the scenes.
    I had to do what's shown in the video nearly every day for 7 Months strait. I got so bored I thought what the hell, may as well do a live stream, listen to some music, and chat with the people watching at the same time.
    There are instances when nothing may be happening in the video, but that's because I was answering questions and explaining things threw out the event.

I'm using a 3D mouse so I can move the camera around with my left hand while I click simotainiously with my right hand. You guys may want to skim threw the video to catch points of interest like some Sonic X-treme level tours and shader experiments for my other project Sonic CD Remix.
    By the time I did this stream I was quite fatigued and starting to feel sick after pulling a lot of all nighters. Man, I was modeling pretty slow here.

What you are watching here is me editing the levels that were ported over to my modeling package, (since they could not be used as is)
    I was deleting polygons that shouldn't be inside the mesh, and making cuts and deleting unwanted polygon portions, flipping polygons so they would face the correct directions,
    I'm also adding polygons to the back of the model so that when playing the game we don't see inside the mesh because of the fisheye shader.
    This process was necessary because I needed to be sure that everything is set so that the end mesh could be welded shut without any leaks. Basically a sealed single mesh which is good for helping the frame rate while using fisheye shader, and fixing massive collision issues caused by stray polygons.

I don't remember if I was doing any texture set up in the video, But that was just as troublesome, and extremely tedious! !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJQ1CYxvcKM&feature=youtu.be

3. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Model clean up and a little tour of other finished Sonic X-treme content. Part2!

Archived livestream Part 2 ! !
    Selecting massive amounts of polygons to later isolate them for later separation from bad polygons!!
    Some polygons I could select in rows, result of selecting all the verts and welding. however because of delinquent polygons rows were interrupted , so I have had to select poly by poly in some cases.

The first section of this video shows one of the 13 death egg zone models. At about 15 minutes in, it shows a fake end level goal and a real level goal accessed by a level rotation puzzle. If anyone has any questions ask with the time and I'll try to answer them.

Near the end of the video , some level tours are done, many of these have never really been shown on the net before. (at about 1:17)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJlzYLxDu4c

4. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The italic font is not Anastasia. That's a clone of the real ITC Anna, made by David Pelavin in 1991.

The one used on the title cards seems to be the same used in 'Jurassic Park' (but was manually condensed on the poster), Neuland by Rudolph Koch in 1923.

5. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    del

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  6. winterhell

winterhell

Cool

7. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Awesome stuff - looks very faithful to the original, but with enhanced resolution and a graphical style that would look right at home in a mid '90s Saturn game. Would love to see what the Lightning Shield looks like, as that was always my favourite from S3&K. = )

8. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Damn that's cool. Can't wait to see it in motion.

9. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Actually to be honest,,, I didn't redo the lightning shield as its already done by the original team, you can see it featured in the AXSX videos already. I just did some upgrades to the other two to try and match the style of the X-treme lightning shield.
    Sonic 1 shield will also be remastered too.

10. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Ah righto - it's been a while since I've seen any of the vids, so will have to go back through them and check that out. = ) Didn't realise that original X-Treme graphics for the Lightning Shield existed!

11. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I'm looking to team up with someone who's a Sonic GDK/UDK programmer who is familiar enough with the SGDK scripts enough that they can implement new functions or change existing functions.
    I'm in dire need to finish the engine side of the project, it's pretty dammed close.
    Right now, This seems to be the only thing really holding the project back at the moment. The engine is almost to the point that I can almost start paying 100% attention to level design and not worry about attempting to program anything.

( I'm a very bad programmer , struggling to code anything on my own takes forever, and when I say forever, I mean months to code just 1 little object or add a feature to an existing actor that is trivial to most UDK programmers who could do it in a few minutes.( talk about time wasted)
    This is the biggest reason for delay after delay after delay, and no demo) I've been trying to get bug fixes in place related to feedback from the demo released over 2 years ago.
    ( I also took time to make a testing level complete with world rotations and adding obstacles per world rotation upon one programmer's request so that they could test than fix basic issues related, a few key basic sonic gameplay elements are still yet incompatible with world rotations( like shield power-up moves)

I have all the assets for Spinslash created and finished. but they are just sitting here waiting to have the move's function added.
    1000's of assets imported and set up within UDK ready to go.( textures, over 4000 block models types, shaders, and 45+ level models finished and most waiting to be textured and used in game, but there is no time on my end to concentrate on finishing this since I'm stuck trying my best attempting to program something that feels next to impossible. I'm just an art guy after all and figuring out how to program is not what I want to be spending my time doing.

I've had to hire someone, or beg the SGDK creator to fix or implement some things, ( if his schedule permits) ( a lot has been done and my upmost appreciation and respect to what has been accomplished on there ends)
    I do not want to have to beg or put anyone on the spot, it just does not feel very good.

So yes, if there is anyone out there that can assist in programming, than this project has a bright future. if not than perhaps this may eventually become Vaporware like so many other sonic projects out there.
    Every time I return to work on the project between working on my house and work, I'm stuck begging for fixes, or attempting them myself , leaving very little time to do art related tasks.
    I'll continue on as far as I can take myself in the programming department, but yeah, many key features are incomplete, missing or broken, and I have a feeling that it will stay that way.

12. Falk

Falk

Xaklse should hop on to be quite honest if it's not that much work left. Just sayin'.

I MEAN GDK IS DONE AND STUFF, RIGHT?

13. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Xaks been helping out actually, more than he should be. but yeah I think he's pretty much done working with Sonic, or so it seems.
    As for GDK being done, I don't think its done, a lot more could be done to make it feel a little more polished, however yeah its the most complete 3D sonic engine out there with the most features.
    Would be nice if we opened up a GDK public development thread to share code and new, or modified unreal script class actors to expand upon GDK. I actually have a few I may be willing to share. ( just finished some new monitor actors that have an icon that pops out of the top with power up picture, and the star bumpers with score that pops out 10 pts 10 times per bumper with pixel perfect animation and timings to that of Sonic 1. ( had some help getting these to work through code tips from Xak, and Vince of Sonic ADR.)

14. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I guess im going work on levels and hope the hell I can get a good programmer soon, I usually like to think of myself as a patient kind of guy, but yeah programing brings out my frustrated side. >__<

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Just so you know....

.......40% ready for playing....

[​IMG]

16. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Looking more than awesome :)

17. Jean

Jean

I wish I could be of help, but sadly I suck at programming (work in progress I'm afraid). Anyhow, don't get too frustrated as you have made great strides in the game development so much. So far it looks amazing, great work!

18. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Nice, always nice to see updates!:-)

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    http://youtu.be/sVSj2-B5nPQ

These are very much still a work in progress.

*Monitor screen has new custom animation.
    *Prize icons and score icons have been done in such a way so that the animations are exact to that of the classic sonic games.
    *The star bumpers also include score of 10 with a limit of 10 hits adding up to 100 points.
    *The enemies and breakable blocks also create chain combos with score increments of 100 200 500 1000 and 10,000.

To do:
    *Monitor frame textures will be replaced with some custom stuff.
    *The score point and Monitor icon prize will receive updated textures later to match Sonic X-Treme's style.
    *Lots more stuff!

Other notes:
    We've even went as far as including a 1 frame delay between the transition of Monitor and monitor broken model.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's so funny to see those star bumpers work as in Generations the one level they were in they were useless as all hell.

Looking impressive as always