don't click here

Programing Character Animation

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by MaximusDM, Feb 18, 2011.

1. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    I was wondering if there is a program out there that I could use to test character animation. In that I would provide the sprites and or artwork and it would function as it should if it were in game.
    For example:

So I can push the Right Arrow Key and have my character go into a 10 frame run animation. Let go and return to 4 frame standing animation.
    Push Space to go into 10 frame jump animation.

2. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Not that I know of, but it'd be fairly trivial to make.

3. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    You could go procure an old copy of The Games Factory. While pretty primitive and old as far as actual game making goes, it's still a fine way to test out animations and the like.

Edit: NOT GAME MAKER, which is still quite good. I meant TGF.

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I'm pretty sure he means 3D animations.

5. I don't think sprites is used to refer to 3D models.

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Whoops.

Why not just use a gif making app MDM?

7. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Gif movie gear. You have to pay for it, but... *online serial*cough*

I use that a lot.

Oh, I read the OP properly. Dunno.

8. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

This is 2D.

I don't have a problem with making/compiling frames and save them as animated apngs or gifs.

I am talking about having a program loaded with all my animated files and the run_animation_left.gif pulled up when I push left and run_animation_right.gif When I push right.

I supposed I could figure out how to do it in Flash with scripting and movieclip symbols. But I was just asking if there was an easier way with some program that is specifically designed for it. If I could save and export actions right out of the program that would be an awesome plus too.

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Get a trial of Multimedia Fusion. There's your ticket.

10. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Allegro sprite editor will do all of this and is a great light weight program for making sprites.

11. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Both those programs seem to deal with small sprites. Mine are quite large.
    [​IMG]

It was cool that Allegro Sprite Editor recognized that I had a sequence and it was drag and drop, but my sprites were too big for the view port in the program. I couldn't even maximize it and the UI is call pixel-y and clunky.

From what I've seen of Game Factory and Multimedia Fusion. It seems to deal with smaller stuff. At least that is all I've seen made with it on Youtube and such.

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    You can use whatever size sprites you want in Multimedia Fusion.

13. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Hey MaximusDM, what is the size of that sprite? It looks extremely big. I am using a FullHD monitor (go figure), and you seem to be aiming for, I have no clue, too large?

It looks cool though!

What you need is accelerated power to drive such big sprites. There is only one way to do that today, and that is to use 3D hardware. Allegro doesn't support that. I am afraid nothing that big will be manageble in the immediate future. But computer keeps getting faster.

If I had time, I could help you. But maybe someone else here is more interested in Comix Zone? I like Comix Zone, but it too low priority to gain any time from the time I already have working on other projects.

If you have some skill with C++ programming. I can aid you. It is not the passion you are looking for though. 90% is just frustration and hell.

14. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I think they are 8x at full scale. I love Comix Zone, its the first Sega Megadrive game I played.

15. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

I don't have any C++ programing knowledge. I drew it at 8x because my drawing looked like junk at 4x because I was scared of adding details that would get lost. If anything, I'd still draw at 8x and then just scale it down.

I wasn't necessarily looking for something to run in a real time game engine, though it would be cool.
    Maybe just have it rendered into a video that I could compile in adobe premiere or something.

16. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    I was gonna suggest just making a simple test interface in AS3 using Flash. I'm going to be working on something similar in a month or so's time when I find some time to do it properly...