don't click here

Pioneer Laseractive magazine ad with Sonic

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mobiethian, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I was sorting through a Sonic box of mine and I found this magazine ad. Unfortunately the second page is missing and I don't know what mag it's from. It shows Sonic with CDs as well as a console picture with a Sega-like controller.

I thought this was pretty neat but mysterious and likely Sonic CD oriented. Does anyone know anything more about it?

[​IMG]

2. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Interesting. It sounds like it was a Laserdisk player that allowed console add ons in cartridge form, or something. The controller is the same as the one that shipped with the Genesis 3.

3. Graxer

Graxer

And the one that came with the Saturn.

4. xdaniel

xdaniel

That Laseractive machine had add-ons that allowed one to play 1) MD and Mega CD and 2) PC-Engine games (not sure about PC-Engine CD-ROM games). There also were "Mega LDs", MD games on Laserdisc or so, FMV games most likely. Google should help...

EDIT: Yeah: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_LaserActive

5. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Oh, really? The saturn just used the redesigned Genesis controller? Interesting. Was the plug the same?

Seeing all this laserdisk stuff just makes me amazed that Pioneer ever thought anyone would pay that kind of money for a fucking disk. I remember seeing a copy of some animated movie that took place in central park at Media Play for like $100 when I was a kid.

6. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Alright. Great info! Well since Sonic is in the ad, would that probably be in reference to Sonic CD? It is a 1993 ad so I figured it was.

7. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    "A Troll in Central Park" was on laserdisc? :O

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well... it would make sense since this was compatible with the SEGA-CD.

9. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    The Laser Active could play both Sega Genesis and Sega CD games when it was released, provided you had the megadrive adapter. The ad is probably referencing sonic himself.

10. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    That makes more sense. I'm glad to know some more about it now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.