don't click here

PC Steam games on Mac?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by JaredAFX, Jun 8, 2013.

1. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    As a Mac user with decent specs half the time and a video card-challenged PC user the other half, it really frustrates me that I can never play any really good games on Steam. I don't want to pay to do the Windows/Parallels option, because I know you can use Wine for free. I just can't find any comprehensive guides anywhere. Does anyone know of a good tutorial that doesn't involve Xcode? I use Snow Leopard and the App Store won't let me download it.

2. winterhell

winterhell

I think you can torrent a compatible version of Xcode and then install it like usual. It worked 3 years ago on a Virtual Snow Leopard.

3. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    ...Well, I totally forgot that option. I'll try it now. Thanks.

4. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    There's no reason to torrent XCode. It's a free product. All of the old versions are here, all the way back to 1.0:
    https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action
    You may need an account to access the download page, but you don't need to pay anything.

That being said, I run PC Steam games on OS X via CrossOver. It's probably not what you're looking for, as it costs money and I do pay for it. It's worth the $35 a year to me, because I have a few things where it's much more convenient than using VMWare or rebooting to Windows for. There's a free trial of that available.

Alternatively, if you want a free option that doesn't require XCode, try Wineskin:
    http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wineskin%2C%20Play%20your%20favorite%20Windows%20games%20on%20Mac%20OS%20X%20without%20needing%20Microsoft%20Windows

I used Wineskin a few years ago to package up a game for someone, it's not as easy to use as CrossOver but it works just as well and the end result is an app you can just double click on. I'd assume you probably build a WineSkin app of the Windows version of Steam and install things into it.

5. winterhell

winterhell

I tried it last month and they did require a credit card registration despite it being a free download. They also check if its a valid one.. Not cool Apple, not cool.

6. Does PlayOnMac not work without Xcode installed?