don't click here

Old invincibility animation in S1?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by JoseTB, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    So I saw some unreferenced code in the object $38 (S1, shield and invincibility stars), which is apparently related in the way the stars are shown in the screen. It surprises me nobody has pointed this before with the dissasemblies floating around, but well, I'll post it myself. It isn't a big find anyway.

Nop the branch at 0x141EC (type 4E 71 there) to force the game to use the old? animation routine.

The difference is almost unnoticeable in gameplay, but is there:

Normal:

[​IMG]

Using the 'other' animation routine:

[​IMG]

Well, the difference is clear in the screenshots. I'm pretty sure I'm not seeing things, as it indeed does feel diferently in gameplay (at least for me). Probably it only affects to the spacing between each stars object, but I can't confirm it yet.

2. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    Holy shit, you came back.

Nice find! I'm pretty surprised no one has found it either.

3. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    Funny thing, the second animation had always been the normal one to me, when playing S1 on my PAL Megadrive when I was young. I'd have to check this stuff in a ROM, but... well, it's weird to see this animation routine called "old". Are you sure this is not only limited to the JPN version or something?

4. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    What I posted actually refers to the US version (rev 00), but yeah, this 'unused' code is also present in rev 01 (the branch is at 0x14954 there, just in case someone is interested)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.