don't click here

"Now Knuckles Can Go To Hidden Palace"

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Squints, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    I'm not sure if this is old, but I haven't seen it anywhere, so I'll be brave. I found where the message "Knuckles can go to Hidden Palace" is used. In Sonic 3 & Knuckles, play as Knuckles and make sure that by the time you reach the end of Launch Base Zone Act 2, you only have six Chaos Emeralds. When you get to Mushroom Hill Zone, go into the flashing Special Stage Ring. Your six emeralds will turn into grayed-out Super Emerald statues, just like usual. Activate one if you want to. Then, find the first Special Stage Ring in MHZ and it will become a normal, non-flashing ring. Jump into it and you'll be taken to whichever Chaos Emerald Blue Sphere round that you missed. After you beat it, it says "Knuckles got all Chaos Emeralds" (even though it only shows one), then instead of saying "Now Knuckles can be Super Knuckles, it will say, "Knuckles can go to Hidden Palace".

EDIT: Now with screenies!

Attached Files:

2. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    ...but can he, really? =P

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Never mind, I'm an idiot. I still think it's a hack though, blown up on a TV screen.

4. Squints

Squints

Poughkeepsie, NY
    I see you're doubtful, but I just did this about 5 minutes ago :P . I would show the whole TV screen, except that my digital camera sucks and the picture file is over 50 KB unless I make it really small. I'll try to get as big a screen as I can. What pic format is smallest? I'm using GIF.

EDIT: Just for clarity, I took that specific screenshot 5 minutes ago. I did this once a few weeks back, but I wasn't a member then.
    EDIT 2: Got the screen small enough.

Attached Files:

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Where is this message located in the ROM anyway? I never saw any documentation on its existance.

Then again, it does seem quite fitting for the situation, as telling you that knuckles could become super when he couldnt would be decieving.

Still, if you can provide more proof, I will believe you for sure. It's hard to tell whether that is authentic or not.

EDIT: Ah, just saw the new piccie. I'll look up on the format of that text and see if I can locate that message. In the meantime, see if you can do that in the emulated version.

6. Squints

Squints

Poughkeepsie, NY
    Does Sonic Mega Collection count as an "emulated version"? I don't have a PC emu. Also, what kind of "proof" would you need?

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Well, some good proof would be a video. Since it seems you are unable to provide one, you may want to look up on the special version of Gens that records videos in a special format. You could demonstrate the instructions you gave, the appearance of the message, etc.

I pretty much believe you now. It would just be better to elaborate on even the discovery of that text, because I never even knew it existed.

Oh, and even though SMC is emulated, I don't think it would count as much.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    My guess is that this has been originally "found" in 1994...

9. Squints

Squints

Poughkeepsie, NY
    You want me to elaborate, so elaborate I shall. I was playing S3&K a few weeks ago when I got up to Launch Base Zone, as Knuckles. I had just finished being mad at myself for missing that last Chaos Emerald, because now I couldn't use Super Knuckles in the boss battle. Well, I beat the boss, and when I entered Mushroom Hill Zone, I got the first Super Emerald, as per usual. I expected the Emerald system to work like this from then on:
    1. Get past Sky Sanctuary Zone
    2. Replay Zone 1-6 to get last Chaos Emerald
    3. Proceed to get remaining Super Emeralds, and screw around as Hyper Knuckles.
    Well, it didn't work like that. The first "normal" special stage ring in MHZ didn't bring me to Hidden Palace to get Super Emeralds. Instead, it took me to the last Chaos Emerald stage. I got the Chaos Emerald. At this point, I remember thinking to myself, "I'll laugh if it says 'Now Knuckles can be Super Knuckles' because I can't!" Well, instead, it gave me the message that this whole topic is about.
    The first I actually heard of such a message was in a crappy "Knuckles in S2 Hidden Palace Zone" theory that mentioned that phrase as evidence, the author saying that he had heard of a message that said "Now Knuckles can go to Hidden Palace". I posted it here for 2 reasons:
    1. I thought it could be new
    2. I figured I might just as well present more evidence against Knuckles in Sonic 2 Hidden Palace Zone.

EDIT: AS for a video, my digital camera can take short video clips, so a video wouldn't be entirely out of the question. However, the quality of said video would be extremely bad—as in, so bad that nothing could be understood except for the shape of the blur that might say "Hidden Palace"

10. ComPro

ComPro

Just hangin' around. Member
    This is impossible.

If you have all of the emeralds or not, as soon as you reach Mushroom Hill Zone, the special stage rings will flash and will take you to Hidden Palace. You can only go to as many Super Emerald stages as you have original Chaos Emeralds.

I think I've played S3&K enough to know...

11. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    Only the first one, IIRC. One of them is ALWAYS a Super Ring; the other S3&K Giant Rings will only become Super Rings when the player has collected all of the Chaos Emeralds.

Then again, it's been a while since I played that game without collecting all of the Chaos Emeralds by Marble Garden Zone... :P

12. Gamerguy

Gamerguy

SHHHHHHH Member
    You say that's on Sonic Mega Collection? I'll test it for confirmation...might take a while XD

13. Frigidare

Frigidare

Above picture copyright of IFG Publications Member
    I've seen this before. It's real. I'll knock up a .GMV if anyone wants.

14. I've had this happen before but... I thought this was SUPPOSED to happen. Maybe Hidden Palace was originally a secret zone, and you went straight to Sky Sanctuary after Lava Reef zone.

15. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    I found that in 1994 with Sonic and Tails, Sonic, Tails and Knuckles game.
    What's the problem with this text? It's normal, when you haven't all Chaos Emeralds under S3, you go into HPZ at the first big ring under MHZ to put your Chaos Emeralds in security. Then retry all special stages you missed from S3 under S&K. Once you get the 7th missing Chaos Emerald under S&K, you can go to HPZ again to have Super Emeralds. That's why this text is displayed.

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the text, it may just be the fact that a lot of people havent seen it before. Heck, as I play through my favorite games, I'm still finding new routes and stuff I never knew about before.

It could also be the fact that I always get all the Chaos Emeralds before Carnival Night Zone. Never had the opportunity to see it, really.

17. ComPro

ComPro

Just hangin' around. Member
    My apologies, then. I could have sworn that you could not enter the Sonic 3 special stages from the Sonic & Knuckles portion...

18. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    Me too, and especially S3&K. That's one reason why I love it so much.

19. Gamerguy

Gamerguy

SHHHHHHH Member
    Yep. I stopped playing in Ice Cap on SMC, but I forgot you have to go back to the menu for it to save...>_<
    I pulled out my Genesis and played through. It's there, alright.

20. Squints

Squints

Poughkeepsie, NY
    This isn't on SMC. I did it on Genesis hardware. I'm in the process of trying it on SMC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.