Newbie hacker's problem

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Elusive, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elusive

Elusive

Sparkster the Rocket Knight Member
    OK, this could sound stupid, but I'm having problems editing Sonic 2 levels.

For my hack, I've modified a few palettes, then gone on to level editing using SonED. Having messed around with it a few times with test ROMs, I decided to make a full-blown hack. Long story short, and a few level edits later, I fire up Gens and... nothing. The ROM boots up normally, only when I actually begin a game the level doesn't load - all I'm left with is a black screen. The ROM worked fine after I modified a few palettes, yet doesn't want to work now.

What am I doing wrong? I've already migrated the levels and tried using ESE2, but still the same result.

2. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    If you used both ESE and SonED on the same ROM, then you're not going to get good results. The tools are very incompatible with each other.

3. Elusive

Elusive

Clarification: I first used ESE2 on Sonic 2 - black screen. Deleted ROM. :( Started fresh ROM, used SonED - same result. I'm stuck, basically.

4. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Have you tried fixing the checksum in ESE, or disabling the checksum check in whatever emulator you're using?
    If that fails convert the rom to a .bin if it's an .smd file with smd2bin. That might be the problem...

5. Elusive

Elusive

I'll try the checksum issues later, thanks. :(

6. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    I have that problem too, for a number of things. Rusty Ruins and Wing Fortress (the latter isn't used, so it doesn't really matter) in my hack freeze at the title card (not at a blank screen).

Also, when editing some crap in Metropolis on a clean ROM, it freezes at a black screen after going to the level. I have not used ESE on this ROM, only SonED.

7. I've had the same problem as well, but mine was a little different and I forgot how I fixed it. I also use a combination of SonED and ESEII, I haven't had any problems after I fixed it, pehaps its just the checksum, but be carefull when making the levels bigger. Make sure you have ESE rearange the levels or whatever it does, so that you don't overwrite data when making a larger level, otherwise you will have serious problems.

8. I tried to fix this problem by using ESE first, getting everything I wanted done done and then moving on to SonED. It seems to work for me most of the time. I think it might have something to do with moving the levels. You could just edit the pallettes in Hex by looking at the offset next to the pallette in ESE, do checksum check and then use SonED. If I try the other way around, I get black screen of nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.