don't click here

New Tom Payne interview

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MathUser, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Tom's word on the subject of the ball:
    In addition, I asked him about these patterns extracted from the Nick Arcade prototype after he had offhandedly recalled working on the "original" version of Chemical Plant Zone:
    As for what he had to say about the patterns...
    So nothing particularly revealing about those patterns in particular, but at least a fair bit of insight worth mentioning.

I also decided to ask about that one weird structure, so hopefully we'll figure out the deal with that soon as well.

2. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The loop is also uneven like it's all rocky, I like it.

The background to ghz in those drawings makes me think that the first row of rocks with the green on in the game were originally blue, like that really old beta scan we have.

3. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    For what it's worth, here's a quick translation of page 13:

Top large text:
    ???????????
    (sou)marekko yo ni habakaru

Ok, this is a little.. confusing. It's based on a Japanese proverb, 'nikumarekko yo ni habakaru,' which is literally, 'A bad child has great influence over the world,' meaning something like a bad child will grow up to be powerful and influential. ( http://www.languagerealm.com/japanese/japa...proverbs_ni.php )

So if it were 'nikumarekko', then it would make sense, albeit a little weird. I guess they would be saying Sonic has a rude 'tude and is gonna DOMINATE DA PLANET. Or something.

However, the first kanji that is actually written on the page is ?, pronounced 'sou', whose singular meaning is Buddhist monk or priest.
    If you compare the two kanji, for 'niku' (from the proverb) and 'sou' (what is actually written), you see this:
    ? ?
    'Niku' and 'Sou' respectively. There is a difference of only one stroke, in the left radical. So this means it is a clever pun or joke that I can't begin to wrap my head around, or someone at Sega was really bad at their Japanese. :psyduck:

The text below is a little less interesting. Left panel:
    ???????
    ?????????????????????????
    hyuuhyuu sugoi
    choukousoku scroll(ing), kaiten scroll(ing), shinkankaku action

Hyuuhyuu is the sound of wind rushing by (I.e. while running fast), sugoi means 'amazing' or 'great.' The next line says "Hyper speed scrolling, rotating scrolling, new sensation action."

Right panel:
    ???????
    ??????????????????????????
    hyuuhyuu shibui
    dreams come true ni yoru original sound juu-go kyoku

Hyuuhyuu is the same here, 'shibui' means something like cool or tasteful (probably referring to Sonic's style).
    Next line is '15 songs by Dreams Come True'

I'll translate more later, kinda in a rush, hope this is, uh, useful.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Regarding that graphic mentioned earlier in the topic:
    So we're back to square one when it comes to that. The likeliest case is that it's a leftover from something, unreleased or otherwise. Guess it'll just stay a mystery.

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    re: RyogaMasaki, maybe the joke they wanted to make was Sou-Niku instead of Sonic (Sonikku)?

6. This stuff is fantastic. I thank everyone who helped get it on here. The classic sonic drawings are fantastic. But what on earth is with that pic where Sonic has human legs?!

7. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I think it's some kind of mascot style costume concept.

8. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Its the exact Simon wai beta act 2 layout.

9. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

Honestly, out of all this stuff here's what interested me the most.

[​IMG]

I swear this design is perfection. So much charm. I really hope Project Needlemouse brings it back.

10. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I completely agree, I really would love to see the classic design come back. It probably won't happen though, sadly. :(

11. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

[​IMG]

There's hope.

Unless it's like, "Here's the classic logo from the very first Sonic, but SURPRISE! We're using his current design anyway, so yeah."

12. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    You know what, that is very true. I don't want to over think it any further, but it is a very good possibility. I think they probably just used the logo to get the point across this game would be aimed toward the general audience and would play very similarly to the classic games/"Sonic Legacy."

In my honest opinion, bringing back the classic artwork and gameplay would be a huge saving grace for the franchise, of course that could just be my "hardcore genesis fan boy" senses speaking.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well, I don't think the recent Sonic official art has been too bad at all -- it's at least fairly cute again.

I was not a fan of the drawn art for Sonic Adventure, though; even when I first saw it, I disliked it.

14. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    You know, I hadn't considered that.. Certainly is .. suspicious!
    It's a bit of a stretch in Japanese, I think; I feel like it would be a super cheesy joke. Regardless, there's no actual 'niku' written, so the reference would have to be understood by the native Japanese reader.

Love how that image uses an old broken Sonic-in-front-of-logo emulator screenshot.

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Maybe, though I seem to remember the one found in the Simon Wai beta has three frames too

16. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    I wouldn't mind that one single bit.

17. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

I wouldn't mind it either, because I do like the modern designs... but if they really bring back the old style for this game, I would be ecstatic.

And that's my last word on the matter, as I've derailed this topic pretty far from its original subject. :)

18. Yeah, follow the route of Mega Man 9. That would be incredible to get a new Sonic game based on the look of Sonic the Hedgehog/Sonic CD. Maybe I'm in the minority, but that was my most favorite Sonic sprite. In fact, the whole games are just more appealing to me visually than Sonic 2/3 (not that there's anything wrong at all with those games)

19. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Sorry about that Tweaker, I forgot what happens if you try to link directly to a file from Sonic CULT. I wanted it to be a picture of that weird aerial background.

20. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.