don't click here

New Sonic 2 version

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, May 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elusive

Elusive

Sparkster the Rocket Knight Member
    So what's the difference between Mega Play and Mega Tech arcade boards?

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, I needed them for documenting values 40-80.

Hello.
    Take a look at the palette and you'll see it loads it just like in the MD version, it's just that there are no graphics to show.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    For those who want a ROM with only the needed changes for making it work (no hidden palace at level select, starts with 0 lives) and too lazy for editing it in a hex editor, here's the IPS patch.

Apply the "cleaner" to this ROM, or the other patch to the original MAME ROM after byte-swapping it.

4. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    Does anyone else notice that this ROM was posted on April 1st?

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Not the ROM, but the updated MAME driver. Since it works and MAME still supports it, it's clear that it wasn't an April fools. =P

6. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    I hate having Macs somedays >>

On Genesis Plus, I cant get the D-Pad to work properly, but yet, Sonic seems to move sloooowly foreward whenever in a level.

On Generator, I get lousy sound, and cant activate the debug. Gah!

And, I cant get MacMAME to see the ROM itself... -.-;

7. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Oh, ICEknight you know what I mean if you open up Mame and just wait at the Bios for the description of Sonic 2 (how to play), and wait till the demo starts.

All of a sudden you see the graphics that you say is not loaded, and the title screen doesn't wrap forever. This scene is the one I haven't found.

Scene 04 is the scene when you have paid credits and the game is waiting for you to start.

8. Vangar

Vangar

I still have the Sonic 1 Megaplay version from Gerbilsoft's old site, when it wasn't emulated. This is new news to me that MAME can handle it. Wohoo!

9. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    Hi! It's good to see I'm no longer the "only" Mac user here.
    Genesis Plus is said to be very close of the real hardware (unlike Generator or Gens). I dunno if this is right, but I found a lot of bugs with this emu, with hacked games. If you can run a game with this emu, you are sure to be able to run it with all the others. I'm working mostly with Genesis Plus for S2 Long Version to avoid emulator bugs.

Generator works better in most cases with edited roms, it's closer to Gens. The problem with it is that I found myself this emu is far from the real hardware. It accepts odd addresses or others wierd things like that.

You can have it at www.emuscene.com

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    FFFEFE:00

I guess the title screen still wraps forever because the default is set to Free Play or something.

11. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    You are right. The default is FF and it must mean free play. 00 means no credits paid. And there are no Sega license restart after the last demo, and no special stage demo. This version is very special.

12. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    Okay, I'll check this up later (alias, after breakfast).

As an odd note...

Yeah, I love the Long version hack. I mean, I think it was the original reason for me getting an emu back on here. No joke XD;

13. Weird Person

Weird Person

You lost two seconds reading this Member
    Who knows?
    Somebody here alredy tried to found the Nick Arcade Version?

And what the problem with "AILL TOP ZONE ACT 2" ? It's just a Glitch, I didn't understand that.

14. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    Yeah, Rika_Chou snooped around for about a month before she got a C&D letter from Sega. I think someone else is looking now... It's in the archive somewhere.

EDIT: Here it is. It really should be archived.

15. Weird Person

Weird Person

You lost two seconds reading this Member
    Who knows?
    Aaah... that's explain that Comic of vangar, I didn't understand that Comic until I read your answer Aurochs. (That let me think the Nick Arcade Prototype was alredy found, but if it was found, a lot of people would be playing and saying about it... and that not happen.)

16. Vangar

Vangar

Yeah, im working on a new animated (colour) episode. It should be out soon.

17. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    A bug was fixed in sonic2_93.bin that caused Hill Top Zone Act 2 to hang. It's fixed now. So download it again.

18. I don't know if this has been posted yet or not, but I just noticed a difference between the original and the arcade version.

In CPZ Act 2, at the very beginning, you roll down the steep hill, then at the bottom shoot straight up. You quite rapidly reach the following location:

[​IMG]

Now, if you land on the ledge to the left, you will see a partially-hidden monitor, accessible by jumping through the vertical yellow/black striped hole.

Here is the original version:

[​IMG]

And here is the arcade version:

[​IMG]

The extra life was replaced with a 10-ring monitor! Noting what was said earlier about the extra life in HPZ being replaced, perhaps this is a common theme for the arcade version. They went through and removed most (Maybe all?) of the extra life monitors.

I can imagine WHY they did this...to make sure you'd die off quicker, and pump more quarters into the machine.

Just thought I'd post this in case it wasn't noticed.

19. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    All 1-up monitors were replaced with super ring monitors. You would know that if you cared to read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.