don't click here

New Sonic 2 development lore drop - Genocide/Cyber City palette and art!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Mar 19, 2023.

1. RankoChan

RankoChan

I'm bored, k? Member
    Some random RPG project.
    We still had development materials related to Genocide City, along with interviews, and its reused assets in Spinball. There was proof of its existence as a separate zone.

Sonic_The_Hedgehog_2_Pre-Beta_to_Beta_4_Level_Select.png
    That's where your argument falls apart. When Sky Chase and Sky/Wing Fortress were added, they were given proper names, not the names of the level slots they took. The same deal with Metropolis Zone act 3 over Tropical Sun. These were also not entirely new, complex zones: They were 1 act gimmick zones with evidence suggesting they reused cut zone assets.

EDIT- To further emphasize this, Sky Chase went over Death Egg and Death Egg was moved to over Genocide City. This wasn't simply a matter of adding a name to a blank slot, they actually changed the names.

Apologies, I misunderstood you there.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  2. Jaxer

Jaxer

Did not intend to start yet another Dust Hill debate lol

But then again, doesn't this entire forum owe its existence to discourse about this zone?

And I agree, a Dust Hill -> Madness Mountain -> Mystic Cave evolution line sounds pretty far-fetched to me. Were it not for that awkward middle man of a castle level, I'd totally buy a Dust Hill/Mystic Cave connection.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    One thing I'd like to know is why level slots were created for levels which weren't really far in development. Why did Dust Hill get a level slot but not Ocean Wind? How far did a level have to be in development to get a level slot? I'd appreciate a Sonic wizard enlightening me!

4. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

There were level slots for most planned zones, Ocean Wind included, but the level select screen didn't list all.

They probably listed only those that were already being worked on, or were about to be worked on, due to screen space. They might have figured that as they implemented more zones they would add them to the level select screen, and eventually implement scrolling on said screen, or perhaps redesign it (which they ended up doing).

5. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I think people tend to forget different teams worked on different parts. The slots were probably done by a separate part of the team. It's the same reason Hidden Palace has a level select icon.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I think the slots were created with the original plan in mind for a crap-ton of levels. By the time the level select was created, they had shifted to a new crap-ton-lite plan. Then by August/September, they shifted again to crap-ton-ultra-lite. To me, that level select reflects their thinking. But when those slots were reserved, the level select probably wasn't established yet.

7. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Anybody wants to talk about interesting sonic 2 things? Anybody? No? Oh...ok...

8. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Ocean Wind does have a level slot...it's just not in the level select.

A better question would be, is there even enough room to fit every level on the level select? This screen is pretty cramped.
    [​IMG]

9. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

That's basically what I said above. They probably put only the levels they needed access to at the time due to limited screen space. Most of the empty levels weren't included, as they hadn't started working on them yet.

10. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    When did they switch from the Sonic 1 style level select to the new Sonic 2 style?

11. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Beta 7

Btw, I read tcrf, translated page, and find the info that devs put new zone before death egg in the second dev document....

Neo Green Hill mystery now is solved???

12. Jaxer

Jaxer

Hold on, can you elaborate?

13. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    https://tcrf.net/Prerelease:Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_(Genesis)/Scrapped_Zones#Future

14. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Here is my attempt at removing the scribble (fortunately a very simple pattern, easy to identify) and fill in the blank portions. Unfortunately, I haven't the foggiest fucking clue how to read kanji, but maybe someone can make sense of this and figure out what the characters actually are supposed to be (and more importantly, what it means).

[​IMG]

15. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    wtf isn't that Hebrew

16. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Whatever that says, it's definitely not "Neo Green Hill".

17. kazz

kazz

16-bait Member
    Just plugged the image into Google Translate and uh
    [​IMG]
    Mind you again the ruined future map shows most of the island on fire...

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  18. CaseyAH_

CaseyAH_

human incarnation of Palmtree Panic 'P' Mix Member
    I think the third character is supposed to be 凶, to my knowledge there isn't a version of that character with just one line in the box. The first one might be 乂 or a VERY sloppy メ but I can't make heads or tails of anything else.

Every combination I get though seems to lean towards something with a negative connotation however, so food for thought.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
  19. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    The idea that Neo Green Hill might be yet another concepted zone unrelated to anything else, and the only reason we've assumed that was ARZ's original title was it contains grass, is so funny I'm legitimately laughing.

20. kazz

kazz

16-bait Member
    "Mountain of fire" zone...fire mountain zone...Fire Hill Zone?! :tinfoil:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List