don't click here

Music Pointer Fixer

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Erik JS, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I worked on this some time ago, and I just begun working again since last week. As the name says, this tool fixes pointers from coordination flags F6/F7/F8. The original project started with only S2-3K in mind, but now it supports S1, doing little-endian/big-endian conversions. Features like "Ristar to S1" and voice fixing for S2 were implemented as suggested and oriented by Tweaker and R. Solaris, so they get credit for this tool.

First you'll have to extract a music from a Sonic game and save it as .bin or .dat (you can get music locations here). Then open the file and fill the address list with locations of pointers from coordination flags F6, F7 and F8. You have the choice of using the SCAN button for that, but remember that it's not 100% accurate. Once this is done, just pick one of the five kinds of conversion available and hit the FIX button, which will ask you for a new filename for saving.

WARNING: This program was made under Microsoft Visual Basic 2005, so you'll need to have .NET Framework 2.0 installed on your computer. Controls use Windows XP visual styles, so the program's look may vary from computer to computer.

EDIT: Link updated
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/15/169...ointerFixer.rar

2. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    Wow Finally a release, Great work.

3. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    <3

I'm sure many people will love this tool.

4. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance

<3 indeed. Many thanks for release this!!! :)

5. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    Hmmm... I wonder if I can get it to run on Wine. (Emulates a Windows environment on Linux)

6. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    WINE Is Not an Emulator. It translates system function calls into Linux equivalents.

7. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance

Eh, I'm pretty up-to-date, but I'm getting an error about my .NET Framework version:

I Googled for the download and looked on Microsoft's website, but the latest version I could find was 2.0.50215.45 (a beta release btw)

Any suggestions? (running XP Home SP2)

8. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Wine also doesn't implement .NET (And Mono doesn't have a decent .NET Framework 2.0 implementation yet, I think).

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Nice work, even though you know this will totally brush me to the side in terms of usefulness. :P

Well, at least some people were able to make use of this, including myself. I wish you would've let me do one last test before release, though.

10. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    Don't worry Tweaker, the help you gave out was nice, not to mention your music guides.

Now it's time to screw around with this thing. =P Where are my manners... I forgot to say thanks!

11. OMG BUMP

Program updated. Download link remains the same. DAC conversion added, as well as coordination flag fixing for when converting from S3K to any other game. S2B is supported now (all previous "S2" references were changed to "S2F").

R. Solaris told me about a bug during voice conversion from S2F to S1 which would make the program crash. I checked the program and everything was fine, except by the fact that it expects the music to have voice data with a number of bytes that is multiple of $19. There's a bug in SDC; it's cutting 3 bytes for no reason. So make sure you're using ESE II for decompressing S2F musics. Anyway I put a check there to tell you if it's possible to convert voices.

Also, I want to note that you should only put in Sonic 2 musics smaller or equal to 2022 ($7E6) bytes. Since music is decompressed in Z80's $1380, larger songs will overwrite important area, which will result in null sound. From $1380 to $1B66 nothing is changed after a music has been started. If you remember my previous topic, you remember that around $1B80 starts essential data, such as music requests, so just don't try to fuck with that. However, it's possible to play such musics, so long you're replacing an uncompressed one.

Here - Microsoft's page, found after visiting several mb topics when searching for "2.0.50727" on Google :P
    Obviously release from 3/22/2006 is the latest, but it is just version "2.0". That's exactly what is shown for me under Add/Remove programs, hence why I wrote the warning without ".50727".

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Excellent - I'll be sure to update my version now, and now I won't have to manually convert all those flags everytime I port again. =P

You're doing great with this. My only worry is that people will say they ported music, later saying they used your tool. They didn't port music dammit! They used a tool! =P

13. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    Cool! I just figure out how to use this. =P

14. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Anyone got any moonwalker Offsets!? =P

EDIT: Never mind, Found them.

15. Aquaslash