don't click here

Mushroom Hill Zone, Act 2 Secret Area

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mobiethian, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I have been very baffled by this for the longest time. I was playing Sonic 3K recently and I can't help but to wonder WHY a certain area at the end of Mushroom Hill Zone Act 2 is only "randomly" accessible. I posted a screenshot to show that particular area that I'm talking about:

[​IMG]
    The secret area is in the ceiling where Sonic is running

On some occasions, Sonic (or whoever you're playing) will be thrusted up into the secret area after hitting the spring below, running up the wall and going inside the ceiling... and sometimes you'll just run on top of the wall right passed it and never get in. Before you reach the lampost by the boss, you you can reach the other side of this secret area and it's blocked by a log.

Can anyone tell me how to get in there or why it's only randomly accessible?

2. Xilla

Xilla

You have to use the left handle on the pulley thing that leads to that area IIRC

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  4. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute Member
    Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    Wow. That is some awesome programming right there.

5. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Why would they waste such programming on something so insignificant? Does this happen in any other zone? This IS something I've never known before, however. Good Question!

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Isn't a similar thing done all the time with loops etc.?

7. Jan Abaza

Jan Abaza

Oldbie
    It's just a loop checker in a different position, that's all. It's not really special, it's just used in a special way.

Sonic & Knuckles is filled with hidden/alternate routes. Like getting to Sonic's part of Lava Reef act 1 as Knuckles near the start...or diving right down to your death immediately after you reach the long set of platforms at the end of act 2...or the myriad of routes in Flying Battery act 2, one of them using piston objects never seen anywhere else, and several others accessible with this Mushroom Hill loop checker thing (using the platforms mostly).

That sort of stuff...it looks insignificant, but it builds that game, and looks like they used every way of getting the player to run across alternate routes they could think of.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    It's not "some programming" at all. Plane switchers are used all over the place in both Sonic 2 and 3—they're the objects used to make loops work. Once you pass one, it switches to the level's defined secondary collision index, which contains different solidity data for certain chunks in the game. Using carefully planned out solidity definitions plus plane swappers, you can make certain tiles solid when they weren't before after activating the object. Stuff like this allows you to, in this case, access the path; the tile becomes passable once you hit the object, since the secondary index has no solidity for that chunk.

Anyway, it's nothing specific to that Zone—it's all over the game, and very common at that.

9. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Thats not entirely true Tweaker. It is a rare instance of the plane being switched while simultaneously on a gimmick. And honestly, it's the only one I can think of outside of the falling platforms and spring segments in Sky Sanctuary. And thats pushing it really.

I think it's a pretty clever level design concept.

10. tech3475

tech3475

I remember accidentally using this a few times. It is a bit strange, probably the devs were experimenting with new ideas so tested this in game, they probably didn't like it so never used it again (I believe) and never bother to remove.

BTW in the death egg zone act 1 there is an area which is completely accessible (or escapable) without debug mode, is this in fact another "hidden area" or something left over?

11. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute Member
    Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    It was probably originally meant to be accessed by some means, but they closed it off after deciding not to have it there, but forgot to remove the actual room. And I think you meant "inaccessible".

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    There's an area in DEZ 1 that's easily accesible with Tails, or Sonic with the lightning shield (though it leads to a bottomless pit that Sonic can't jump high enough to clear).

13. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    I'm going to see if this is in the beta, just out of interest. Not now, probably tomorrow when my internet isn't fucking up so much.

14. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Interesting thread, I never knew you had to use the left pully to get up there, use to seem random to me too.

15. nineko

nineko

italy
    Yon don't *need* to use the left pully to get all the way up, you can switch from one to the other as many times as you want, as long as you are on the left in that specific place.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    This is correct. I used to do that years ago =P

17. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I have another question since we're on the "secret areas" subject. In Lava Reef Zone, Act 1 there is a special ring that I can't get to with Sonic, but it's easy for Tails to reach it simply by flying upward through the ceiling below the ring.

[​IMG]

Is this a Tails only area where this ring is located or is there a special way that Sonic can grab this?

18. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Try to look for secret passages to the sides, or with an electric shield. But it'd make sense it being a Tails-only area - Angel Island 2 has a Tails-only path for instance (to reach it as Sonic, you need to play as Sonic & Tails).

19. nineko

nineko

italy
    Tails only.

20. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    You can grab it with sonic by using Tails to fly you up there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.