don't click here

Microsoft to buy Skype

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Mad Echidna, May 10, 2011.

1. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I was wondering the same thing too. It would be pretty cool to see Qt applications on Windows Phone 7. I really hope this Nokia deal isn't some sort of ploy to kill off stuff like Meego and Qt. Nokia still has some interest in both of those, lets hope Microsoft doesn't get their grubby hands on them. :argh:

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    The Nokia thing is because Nokia has been losing lots of market share to iPhone and Android and they're trying to see if they can gain some of it back with Windows Mobile. If something else they made gets killed as a side-effect that probably wasn't the intention.

3. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Hello.

4. I'm not terribly affected by this, as I don't use Skype much, but it seems rather silly that they're bringing Skype to the 360. Sure, if you don't have a phone of some sort, I suppose it's fine, but what I'm really worried about is that after they put this and possibly some more future apps onto Xbox Live, Microsoft will institute another price hike for all the "wonderful features we're adding!" (Like Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, Facebook and Zune; more shit I don't need, wheeeeee!)

5. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    That's already been happening since Skype 5. See I'm pretty sure it's safe to aussume that 3 phones will still be compatible and come with skype. I mean, if my SKYPEphone loses Skype compatibility it'd be rather fucked. 3 have been using Skype on their phones for years so I sure hope that doesn't go out the window. I'm sure it won't, but still.

6. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Oh, there's already one ad on the main tab. Coming up next, they'll be everywhere:
    [​IMG]
    There's a good reason why I prefer Pidgin over the official MSN client: No bloat and no ads.

7. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    It's also the reason I kept my old WLM rather than the new one and why I reinstalled Skype 4.2.

8. Amethyst

Amethyst

Hopefully they don't take over the linux version, and I hope the linux version still is supported. :(

9. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    To be fair, the Linux support was already pretty dismal. The Skype for Linux client is almost as bad as the official AIM client for Linux. Skype was seen as a major selling point on the Linux based netbooks of yore, but we all know how well netbooks are doing these days.

10. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    [LINK]

I think Microsoft broke Skype because I'm having this exact problem after uninstalling and reinstalling Skype three fucking times. I didn't even choose to update it. It just did an automatic update out of nowhere and now I can't use Skype which means my night's plans of playing Minecraft multiplayer has been totally trashed until I resolve this problem. Fuck Microshaft to hell.

11. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I didn't know skype had ads already; I haven't seen any as of yet. That sucks.

Also, side note, you can patch WLM to have no ads, among other things. Which is the only reason I have the latest version (and that messenger plus updated) I can't stand Pidgin, too many features lacking from the official release.

12. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    One can't help but wonder how you guys think the staff who work on MSN get paid with no subscription fees and no ad revenue. Just sayin.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Through the brand-linked website and email services, both of which have adverts on? I don't need it shoved down my throat in IM as well.

14. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    I've still yet to see an IM program that did all I want to do as well as Trillion v3.1.9. Probably why I've never used any IM programs for years.

15. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    I honestly can't say I hate this. Mostly because I don't care for either company, and Skype being part of the Windows package could be convenient.

16. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    You know, I was thinking about that recently. How common are instant messengers these days? I mean, I still use AIM, MSN and Google talk, but are most people just sticking to SMS and Facebook walls now? I don't have a Facebook account and never, ever will, so I really don't know.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Just about everyone I went to uni with uses IM, it's not so much that they're not COMMON as most people are rarely sitting at PCs.

Also IM is only gaining traction in business.

18. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    From what I've been seeing, a lot of people are moving to Facebook's built-in chats actually. Meaning I missed on my chance on chatting with some girl since I don't plan on touching Facebook at all =/ (eh, like that matters)

Phone messaging definitely isn't a replacement for IMing though, it's just too inconvenient to use in comparison to a proper chat set up.