don't click here

Metal Sonic looks the same?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aquaslash, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Ok, so since it was veering off topic, I've split off the Metal Sonic discussion into its own topic. This topic can now cover the differences in Metal Sonic's Classic and Modern appearances. The original post that started it is as follows.

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Metal Sonic never changed his look actually (notice the ending of Sonic Heroes, he returns back to his original shape when he loses his power), and new Amy actually could be made to fit the old style. It's a drawing style really, not the entire characteristics of the characters.

3. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

This post begs for pictures!

[​IMG]
    Classic

[​IMG]
    Modern, which didn't officially surface until about 2007

I'll let you spot the differences =P

4. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I'm not seeing any differences besides the nuts and bolts becoming more noticeable on him. He looks exactly same.

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    What? Better joints, a slightly rounder head and somewhat bigger hands? :psyduck: Seriously, there is barely any difference from those two pictures.

And although I like the new artstyle in itself, it can't really replace that timeless charm of the original. Those pictures in the guide prove it 100%.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Now, the metal Sonic that you see in most of Sonic Heroes's cutscenes (I.e., before the comical "ALL LIVING THINGS KNEEL BEFORE YOUR MASTER" line) doesn't even look like that.

7. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    His muzzle shrunk (It's now smaller than Sonic's!), his sholderpads changed, his arms and legs now appear to have inner and outer shats, his fingers gained joints (previously they just bent, similar to Iron Man's suit), he gained that crotch nub to prevent him from clashing with Sonic's new design, his legs are now mounted on rather flimsy looking external ball joints, his palms now have a crease in them (which is useless because they can't bend regardless), the fasteners on his elbows and knees and such are now screws/bolts, and his feet are more rounded. It's an obvious downgrade, and that Sonic Channel picture makes it look even worse. It reminds me of what happened to <a href="http://images.google.com/images?rlz=1C1GGLS_enUS332US332&sourceid=chrome&q=optimus+prime&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=A5vKSqCBA578tgeE6tDHBA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1" target="_blank">Optimus Prime</a>.

8. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Overanalyze much?

9. Phos

Phos

If you're going to change something, the change should make it better. But now we're getting off topic.

10. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    Jesus Christ.

11. Phos

Phos

Granted, Optimus Prime is an extreme example, but I still find the idea that these changes are unnoticeable to be strange. The crotch nub, for example, is an entire new piece they stuck there, it doesn't even have an analog in the old design.

12. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    My thoughts exactly. Maybe adding Dude's 'overanalyze much' and a side of 'seriously wtf it's just a small amount of changes and they kept the style as identical as would be almost possible while modernizing it and it's nowhere near the rape that the Transformers movies have been and even comparing it to that is shameful.'

13. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

For the first time in...ever, I'm going to agree with you in that I too, can't fathom the idea of the changes to Metal Sonic being unnoticeable. ESPECIALLY when 95% of the posters here bitch about Sonic's changes when all he got was longer hair, longer legs and green eyes. I think this may be the equivalent of the people of SA2 confusing Sonic and Shadow.

I also agree with Lostgame in that it's nowhere near the Transformer makeovers. Those aren't functional in any way, while Metal Sonic certainly is now than he's ever been.

14. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    If anything, Metal Sonic now looks more like a real robot would. If now they'd paint him like the old...

15. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

They kinda have, if you consider:

1. Neither Sonic, nor Metal Sonic has ever been a consistent shade of blue. It changes literally every time Sonic or Metal Sonic appears, be it games, art, or other media.

2. The in game art for Sonic Rivals 2 uses a shade of blue that matches the Sonic CD sprites:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's also worth noting that the CG model seen here has even MORE joints and articulation than the Ukewa art.

16. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    I actually don't find the changes noticeable, either, unless you put an old- and new-style picture next to each other. Seriously. He's the character with the least noticeable changes, next to Knuckles.
    And he always looked cool, too.

17. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Yeah, I can't really notice the changes unless I put the two side by side and study them for a couple minutes. He still looks basically the same as he ever did.

18. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    I'm not trying to sound rude or anything, but is this topic even going anywhere?
    What are we trying to discuss? The few new bolts he got? That isn't redesign, it's common sense for a robot to have those.

19. SonarDragon

SonarDragon

There is that ball his legs attach to on his crotch that makes his body look a bit taller...

20. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

Cry, and my whip will accommodate! Member
    I would have never noticed the difference between the old and new if I didn't have two static pictures sitting right there for me to look at... Even then, the new design still looks fine to me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.