don't click here

Looking for data in all the wrong places...

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Neo Majin, Sep 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Very little thanks to poor computer access
    So, one of my ideas for my Sonic 2 hack is to port in a Sonic CD level. I'm pretty sure about what I'll have to do (I know it uses 256x256 mappings by now and that I'll have to write a new collision index...), and so I go looking through the MMD files for mappings and graphics (though if need be, I'm pretty sure the graphics can be taken from a Savestate?). Now, here comes the problem. I think I've found the 256x256 mappings, but the 16x16s are nowhere to be found. I know data can be and is often moved around in the MMDs, but can I at least get a general location? I'm not looking for someone to do this for me, I'd like to do it myself.

Any help at all would be appreciated!

2. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    16x16 tiles are Nemesis-compressed. You can find them with the Nemesis search tool. Or get them from a savestate.

3. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Nemesis compressed? Interesting, I thought that was an art compression only.
    Gives me a good reason to look into the non-art data I've found with the nemesis searcher. Thanks, hivebrain!

4. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Nemesis compression was designed for art because it relies on things being in blocks of $40 (#64) but it's used in Sonic 1 (and Sonic CD which is more conservative than Sonic 2, which made many changes) for 16x16 mappings because they work.

5. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Blocks of $20, actually. And Sonic 1 uses Enigma compression for 16x16s.

6. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    The SCD master is here. :P

The 8x8s are compressed in Nemesis format. In R11A the 8x8s are at 3C538 (going on until 3F2F0), and it should be relatively there in all the MMDs. The 16x16s are Nemesis compressed, and they are at relatively 3B126 and go on until the 8x8s start. The 256x256s are decompressed, and they always start at 10000. However, I don't know where they end. When I find out I'll edit this post again.

7. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Thanks alot everyone!

Just one more question. Where is the pallete stored?

8. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Bump, because I don't feel like making a new thread...

This will be my last question- Does anyone know where/how the level layout is stored? I assume the format would be the same as Sonic 1 (Since almost everything else seems to be)

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, it even compresses whole level maps in Castle of Illusion.

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yep, it is. Single byte per tile, byte according to 256x256 tiles in order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.