don't click here

Little kid hacks Sonic

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by GT Koopa, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Here is an oddity.

Ok. So he lied about his age to get a youtube account, and is subscribed to Fred. However, he is already a Sonic hacker even though he can't grasp the dreaded "people cannot access your computer" many of us had to figure out for ourselves when we first experienced the internet.

Now, thanks to the above we have no idea what is on there apart from his video description and the rom name. Again, I have to say that we have this young kid, not only interested in the classic Sonic games but MODIFYING THEM. Even if all he did, by his video description, was use this, it is still pretty amazing.

At first I raged, but now I can't stop thinking about it. I probably couldn't have figured out this stuff when I was that age. (knowing roms exist, downloading a rom, using a program to modify said rom)

Am I just blowing things out of proportion? Am I so out of touch with kids today that I don't know what they can or can't do? Or did he just have someone older show him what to do?

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    This is why I'm totally against not making tools for certain tasks, cause it makes things "too easy". Congratulations to this kid. Bravo!

3. Phithpleis

Phithpleis

Nein Member
    Your location
    Current Project
    Awww, these little children grow up so fast! Bless him, he'll be smarter with technical stuff about Sonic than I will ever be. :thumbsup:

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Little kids make terrible Sonic hacks all the time. This is nothing new or even remotely noteworthy. If you want to praise kids, praise the technically smart ones—not the ones who just learn how to open a program on their daddy's computer.

Sonic 65 was 10 years old when he became a Tech Member, and theocas is... what, 12? Those are the kids worth turning heads over. Not this.

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I have to disagree with you. To the average person, tinkering with old games at all is noteworthy. I think a kid showing technical interest in anything is important and should be encouraged. Not everyone gets interested in things like this at a young age. I wish I did.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The bloke responsible for some of the first New Super Mario Bros. editors was only 12 or 13-ish at the time of creating them.

Supposedly some of this tools are used in the industry now.

Ken Silverman who built the build engine which powers Duke Nukem 3D was only 15-or-so when he was hired by 3D Realms. That was cutting edge stuff in 1995 too.

7. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    file:///C:/Users/Z-Man/Desktop/New folder (5)/Sonic the eletro spike Hedgehog.bin
    New folder (5)
    WHO DOES THIS? NAME YOUR FOLDERS, KID.

Any idea how old this kid is? I'm horrible at guessing this stuff, though I'd say maybe 8-ish.

8. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    ...I did this when I was his age, down to the Sonik Sprite. So did a few of my friends. It's not that impressive, especially when you name it "Sonic the eletro spike Hedgehog"

9. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Yeah this isn't a big deal, maybe if he added some new ability or added any other technical things without looking at a guide then I'd be impressed. Though I will say he's going in the right direction, we all have to start from somewhere right?

10. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    So it is agreed that he isn't that amazing after all but he should be watched and pointed to the right direction, start using disassembles and SonED2, eventually start learning asm etc.

11. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    What's wrong with New folder (5)? I have a few dozens of "new folder"s around my hard drives :v:

12. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    Yeah.

Also note that it could well look like an indistinguishable mess for all we know - likely an ungodly combination of Sonic's parts and random bits from his own, if he had the same issues I remember having with Sonik Sprite.

EDIT: It could also look great, of course. I don't know.

13. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Quoted for truth.

14. I was making fully developed games with RPG Maker by the time I was 10, and not just using their pre-made sprites, music, etc. I even came up with my own battle system for several games and devised ways to make non-RPG games in it. Most of the projects I did in RPG Maker were unfinished system tests for various ideas I had, but I did finish at least two or three 40 hour long games with decent scripts.

I'm not even looking back with nostalgia goggles, I remember looking at them when I was 17 and thinking "holy shit", unfortunately the computer all my games were on had TONS of viruses and my parents chucked it before I could get the games off it. It also had my first comedy album, which is something a lot of fans had asked me about back when I was a more popular musician.

Showing interest in ANYTHING at a young age is good, it'll help guide you to what you might want to do for a career down the road, just because a kid's making Sonic green in a hack doesn't mean it's not worthy of praise. Hell, I wrote a film script using characters I came up with when I was 12 just this past summer.

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I agree with this, cut him a break guys. If hes really that interested into sonic hacking we should invite him here you know take him under our wing and all that.

But like I said only if hes really interested, You know how kids go in and out of things quick.

16. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    This.
    (I hope he can post though, remember the last little kid who got in?)

EDIT: man I sound really obnoxious ITT let me just quietly leave

17. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I created my first sonic fan-game when I was 12...I'm not too impressed

18. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    It's neat, but like others said, a lot of us were around that age or just a little older when we started. Gerbil was what, 13 or so when he started making ROM hacking tools? I know I joined CulT and started dicking around with ROMs and making fangames when I was 12 or so. Not that I ever finished anything aside from a few joke hacks/games, though...

Jesus it's been almost a decade since then. Time flies when you're a lazy manchild.

19. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I knew about roms and emulation when I was 10. I had K-Gen and fwNES when I was but a wee lad, but I don't think I could have hacked anything. Fuck, I probably thought the inner workings of a computer looked like a scene from TRON at the time.

But this is likely due to the fact that we didn't have Sonik Sprite, SonED, DSL and the word 'Gigahertz' in 1997.

20. Impish

Impish

God, imagine what a rom or an emulator would look like in tron-world?

EDIT: On topic, I knew about all this when I was about 13, but I still can't hack. I've made plenty of maze games in "klik and play" and game maker. The main characters were Robo-maze-man and Pencil Guy. I made all sorts about pencil guy, comics and the like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.