don't click here

Level Map Viewer for Somari NES Pirate?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Kharen, Mar 17, 2014.

1. I'm sure many of you guys know of the unlicensed NES game "Somari", where Sonic-themed levels are played through using Mario. While the enemy placement and controls leave the game difficult to the point of nearly being unplayable, the level design itself seems rather well done for an unlicensed game. A bit rough, with a few un-escapable spike pits and such (in Green Hill Zone, no less!), but interesting enough to leave me rather impressed. I've been playing with the idea to port the levels themselves to a more competent engine (probably hacking them into a Sonic game, preferably one of the Master System/Game Gear ones for consistency to what the original seems to be trying to imitate), but as far as I have been able to find, no map viewer exists for this.

Playing the game and recording it isn't the most optimal solution to figuring out all of the level layouts due to the difficulty of the game, so I wanted to ask. Does anybody have any ideas on how to view the level designs to this game?

2. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    I've been curious about this as well, but I'm not very familiar with how the NES works. Also, the go-to place for mapping out games has a ban on unlicensed games for some dumb reason :/

3. Caverns 4

Caverns 4

Sonic: Retold
    I nearly let the thread die, but I'm gonna say this while I still can.

I wish there was a disassembly of Somari. I'd so try to port the player movement logic from Sonic 2, and then that awful game might not be so bad. Not that I really understand the inner workings on the NES enough to be sure how possible it would even be. f there was a disassembly, we'd be that much closer to a map viewer at the least, but sadly with my level of understanding, it's all hot air.