don't click here

Let's Glitch Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Updated November 17th, 2009)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by GoldS, May 7, 2009.

1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    The counter is at 0, and the game checks it only when Eggman gets hurt. The first hit makes it go to 255, the second to 254, and so on, and it reaches 0 again at the 256th hit, then causing it explode.

Then again, why the hell is it a destroyable object? o.o;

2. TheBarAdmin

TheBarAdmin

These videos are awesome!

S3K sure is a champion in glitches :v:

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I love the stop-start boss at the end, I really do =P

"SONIC'S COMING, START THE MUSI-Oh, wait. Turn it off guys, he's going. WAIT, HE'S COMING BACK, START IT UP AGAI-oh. NO, HE'S COMING FOR REAL THIS TI-no, wait... GOD DAMN IT YOU PSYCHOPATHIC BLUE PINCUSHION, DEFEAT MY LATEST CREATION ALREADY"

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I found a glitch you haven't yet. Basically it's the same idea as Sonic 2's super sonic glitch, only in this case (though it's hard to trigger accidentally) it was never fixed in any revisions.

If a miniboss has only one hit left on it, transforming into Super Sonic as the boss runs into it on that final hit will destroy it. However, it seems that since Sonic's in the middle of a transformation, the forced return to the normal Sonic glitches up. Sonic stays hovering in midair in his walking animations just like in Sonic 2, and since he's not touching the ground he can't trigger the end-of-level sequence.

I found this accidentally in ICZ a little while ago up against its miniboss; since it sweeps across the screen fairly quickly it's a good one to use for this.

I didn't test to see if Tails could lift him out of his animation though.

5. Rick

Rick

Maine
    I think it'd be kind of a neat idea if, once all the levels and what-not are posted, to perhaps make a long video combining every stage and adding in all the little annotations on YouTube, but in some other program.

I'd do it, but all I can offer up is doing something on Windows Movie Maker. Feh, I need to get something better.

6. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    So I finished making part 2 today (should be up whenever I finish the annotations), and it turns out I have enough footage for at least a third part. Oh boy.

7. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    Awesome. Can't wait to see it.

8. JDAdams

JDAdams

Back from my hols now - nice to have two to watch :thumbsup: Keep up the good work, it's truly amazing you can find so many of these!

9. Rick

Rick

Maine
    I'm assuming that Launch Base Zone was built out of sticks and mud, rather than whatever you usually make launch bases out of.

I'm surprised it's shoddy enough for three parts.

10. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    Glitchtastic!

Dare I say, S3K could be one of the glitchiest games out there? (in b4 Big Rigs)

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Fix

12. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    These have been really fun to watch. I'm sort of tempted to do this with Sonic Adventure myself, because there's certainly no shortage of bugs there either.

13. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Neither of those was actually finished =P

14. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    *pitches a tent in GoldS's channel*

15. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Why the heck does it need such a big counter for? 8 bits for that?

16. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    8-bits = 1 byte, the minimum the 68k can handle.

In any case, why the heck does it need a counter at all for such a thing, in the first place?

17. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Instead of creating an entirely different kind of object which can be "damaged" but not destroyed, it was probably easier to just use the same code for destroyable objects and jack up the hit counter to the highest setting.

Though I suspect it doesn't work the way I envision it, since they probably didn't use OOP in those days for video game consoles.

18. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    No, but Yuji Naka seemed to have a really strange addiction to do OOP-like stuff, because all Sonic 1, 2 and 3K make use of objects for everything - even where you normally wouldn't expect them. So you could say that he recreated an OOP system.

Even then, Sonic 3D uses objects, well, only for the actual in-game objects and nothing else, and even then there is several common stuff between objects, including stuff like what flicky to release (although only enemies run the code for this - yes, flickies aren't tied to enemies, you can assign anything to them). Considering what I said above, objects probably share much more code.

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    In any case, it's because that object is LIKE A BOSS.

S3K isn't that glitchy overall, it just seems that way because people play it enough that some end up going out of their way to break the game. Similar to Sonic Adventure, among other things (though it's less robust than S3K IMO).

20. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Yeah, I never glitched in any of the classics if I was playing properly. Adventure, it happned a handful of times, 2 very rarely. I'd say they were properly tested.

06 on the other hand, there's at least one per game session.