don't click here

Jump

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Shadow Hog, May 22, 2011.

1. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    So in the early 2000s, sometime around when Homestar Runner was still in his prime, sega.com (the US branch) had some nifty Flash/Java games on their page. Of these, the one that interested me the most was this crude polygonal platformer called Jump. You played as what I can best describe as an upright jellybean with two wheels in lieu of feet, and you rolled around (with tank-like controls if memory serves, although with the ability to - you guessed it - jump) these fairly short and simple stages floating way up in the sky. It was simplistic, and hardly the best example of the genre, but it was charming enough.

There were some other interesting titles, like a Shockwave-based FPS, or a puzzle game where you had to navigate two mazes at the same time with only a single input. Unfortunately, sometime around when Sonic Heroes or Shadow came out, sega.com was completely redesigned, and all these games were completely ditched from the site. I tried searching for a mirror, but with a name as generic as "Jump", all I could ever get were things like "Jump into the world of [insert recent Sega game here]!" and similar. It's almost as if the game was lost forever!

So, I have to ask - am I the only one who remembers these? Did somebody have the foresight to do what I did not and save them for posterity? I really want to remember what Jump was like, just for old time's sake.

2. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    No dice? Kind of a shame.

I decided to look into the issue myself (suddenly remembering the Internet Wayback Machine actually exists), and found the page they USED to be on - although, naturally, I'd be ASTOUNDED if the Wayback Machine actually saved the games themselves. It does make some attempt to try and play the game, but undoubtedly it's trying to access files that simply don't exist, either on Sega's site or Wayback's (almost certainly not Wayback's).

I wonder how many, if any, of these have been saved elsewhere? At least I have the names, now, which is more than I had before.

3. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I remember a similar search for old browser games. I used the Wayback Machine on an old website looking for a java game called "GEEK", which surprisingly loaded in full! However I came to learn that the game was hosted on a different website, moreover the creator's. (And then I smashed the high score).

So it sounds to me like the game and files have been removed from the server. If you really want to find this game again, I'd suggest trying to ask around. Maybe a big fan saved the game itself, or perhaps an old employee has it stashed on their hard-drive.

Best of luck to you. I know what it's like to search for an old game you just have to play one more time.

4. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    Found it!

5. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Yes, that's it!

...but for some reason I'm stuck in the ground and can only move by jumping. Wasn't like that before... wonder what's wrong with it?

6. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I remember playing it years ago

7. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Worked fine for me after I used A and Z for a little. Then the arrow keys started working fine.

8. So, can anyone maybe find the Puyo Pop and Chu Chu Rocket ones as well? If my memory is correct here, that is.