don't click here

Interesting.

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Kles, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kles

Kles

Quick Man has asked me to do him a little favour in modifying a few values of the music of GHZ (Sonic 1 of course). I don't know what he plans on doing with them, so, I'm not gonna post the findings though I'm sure you can investigate yourself, anyways, I changed one particular byte and I got this effect.

Note, there was only one byte change here, don't listen with high volume..: http://www.atomicwienerdog.com/uploads/mcirec_1.mp3 (The very beginning is the intro music, I just got a little sloppy with recording)

I find it interesting how if you listen hard enough you can hear a hollow sound in the background, then the song is sort of normal again
    No particular meaning to the post, just thought you'd might like to hear it. Maybe some results of the hacking will come later. Trash if you feel this is spam :-\

EDIT: Rather irrelivant now, since there's another byte that controls even more!

Blah. Still, listen if you want.

2. fuzzbuzz

fuzzbuzz

Tech Member
    Here
    Many Many Programming/hacking tools...
    A lot of weird things can happen when you try to edit the music bytes. :) Trust me.

3. Kles

Kles

http://www.atomicwienerdog.com/uploads/Marble.mp3

Review please :P

EDIT: One question, what does "Line 1010 Emulator" (Line-A) error mean, and why does it happen happen when I make the bytes for the two main mixing bytes for end of level theme (located: 7727A, 7727B) 05, 50?

EDIT Mk. 2: Ah, shit. I modified the wrong values (C, D)

05, 50 sounds like crap >_<

Back to the drawing board >_>

4. Rarmander

Rarmander

Poetaster Member
    An Empyreal Child
    Wow the first one reminds me of the ugly ass girl down the road that sucks at singing. :P The second one is awesome though!

5. Kles

Kles

6. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    fuzzbuzz: Yeah, I randomly changed music bytes in my hack some time ago, and one time, I completely changed LZ song =P

Kles: Line 1010 means that emulator encountered an odd offset OR illegal instruction. I don't know for sure, sorry =/ (Btw. it may be also a jump not in range of 000000-FFFFFF)

7. ComPro

ComPro

Just hangin' around. Member
    Cool version of Star Light Zone. Do you know what's going to happen to the songs when you modify the values?

8. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    Where abouts in the ROM is this data? I would like to have a go at modifying the music also.

9. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    Hmmm....Editing music in hex could be something interesting.
    I will try to see how to edit musics correctly with a single hex editor.
    Maybe I'll find a way to create a music from scratch. :P

10. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    Where abouts in the code does the music data start?
    EDIT: sorry for asking the same question again. I don't even know if Im saying or going about this right, Im trying to get to know hex.

11. Skaarg

Skaarg

This is what anybody would tell you on the main page there are links to many sites that contain hacking guides for sonic 1, 2, 3 use them and they will tell or help you in your findings.

edit: there was no need to ask the question twice you only gave people 15 min to respond were not all here 24/7. Just so you know for the future.

12. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    In Sonic 2, the SEGA intro sound is at $F1E8C-F7FFF.
    After, at $F8000 to the end, that's musics for levels and others.

13. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    Lol thank you SH-B. And sorry for being impatient, I have a load on my mind at the moment so Im slightly...discombobulated.

EDIT: I feel embarrased asking this as it makes me sound idiotic (remember, im a newb to hacking) But I've tried to search for $F1E8C. I didnt know what kinda string that is (8-bit unsigned, ACSII, Octal, etc) and so I tried to look for a guide on Google without succession (instead however I got 500 tips on sex. Just search for "Guide to Hex".)

So my question is *swallows whatever pride left* what format is $F1E8C and how do I search for it?
    ...oh am I going to be flamed for being an idiot or what...

14. Kles

Kles

Heh, I'm not modifying music itself. I'm modifying values that the levels tell the music to use, like tempo, instrument set, etc.

My notes are gone >_<, ask Quick Man or something, I do believe he has them.

15. Icy Guy

Icy Guy

Hedgehog. Sonic the Hedgehog. Member
    California
    GoldenEye 007 level hack
    Two catches:

1) The only guides that give in-depth info about modifying the music itself (not just the Sega sound, pointers to the songs, and/or playlists) are Saxman's.

2) I don't believe Saxman ended up covering song editing in S1.

However, for most subjects concerning ROM hacking, your advice would be the right advice to give.

You have to go to offset F1E8C in the ROM.

16. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    Thanks Icy Guy

17. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    Soil, you are NOT an idiot. You are a true member who want to learn something about hex editing, and that's something good. You should visit the SSRG guide at my webpage for a good guide about hexadecimal editing.

EDIT: My old post was too wierd. That's better now...

18. Kles

Kles

:)

Okay, I like my current Labyrinth Zone music, but I get illegal instruction errors.

Anyone who know a fair bit about the music bytes, can you please try to fix it, as I'm stumped on it.

For the rest, uhh, I guess you can check out my tunes but the majority suck (Though do comment on Scrap Brain, the first half is good, second half sucks.. atleast in my opinion.)

AHEM (Oh, I also accidentally edited over BobTheMidget's Sonic Boss hack rom, so, if anyone could also do me a favour in porting or telling me an easy way to port data to a clean rom, please do).

Now..

http://www.atomicwienerdog.com/uploads/Son...%20Hedgehog.bin

19. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Saxman has covered Sonic 1 music editing in a rudimentary fashion, but the document is out of data and incomplete. I'll wait for Fuzzbuzz' notes.

You sure you didn't typo? I got a load of guides to hex editing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.