don't click here

Importance of Direct Hardware emulation

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Chaos Hedgie, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Although this is my last post before I get pended to eternity, I have this question that's been bugging me for the last longest, and I wanted to see your answers/opinions.

Basically, I noticed how people liked having their hacks played on real hardware, and I also noted that real hardware compatibility is a major factor in the hacking contest.

Basically the questions I wanted to ask were:

Why is direct hardware emulation important, when we have emulators?

Why go through the time and effort, to ensure that your hack plays on real hardware, when all you need to do is to make sure it runs on an emulator?

Why is direct hardware emulation important...to you?

How does it make you feel when your hack runs on real hardware? Do you get a sense of...authenticy?

2. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    I guess it would be pretty cool if code I wrote myself were to run on the real hardware, though I don't think there's a chance of that. Regardless, it makes sense to code something as if it were going to run on the hardware instead of just an emulator. It's like coding a site to be compliant with web standards so that it will work just as well in any standards-compliant browser. In this case, the "browser" is the emulator you're running your code in, and the closer it is to perfectly emulating the hardware, the better your code runs.

I've seen a few SNES rom hacks that only run properly in either ZSNES or Snes9x due to crappy ASM code. Similarly, one could have a hacked Sonic game that only works with either Gens or Kega. If your code works properly on hardware, it's all but guaranteed to do the same with any emulator.

3. RAMPKORV

RAMPKORV

Oldbie
    Sweden
    Licking my girlfriend's anus
    A hack you've only made sure works on one version of one emulator isn't guaranteed to work on other emulators or the real hardware, or even later version of the the same emulator when in the later version it supposedly conforms better to the original hardware.

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Besides, if one wasn't concerned with trying to work based on the Genesis standards, why not just make a fangame with extra potential features (transparencies, scaling/rotation, multiple layer backgrounds, wave (etc.) audio,)?

5. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    What he said.

A well known example is the Gens-only vram bug.
    Hacks programmed in Gens don't work well in a more accurate emulator like Kega.
    There's nothing more accurate than the hardware itself to test your hack.

6. Rob Jinnai

Rob Jinnai

Not really master of theory debunking anymore Tech Member
    Custom Game Engine Prototypes
    I personally like to know it'll work on real hardware. Because if I'm just "writing for an emulator", I might as well just be coding my own engine. If platform independence is your concern, then use ANSI C with popular libraries like OpenGL/Allegro/etc. or a completely platform independent language like Java. (I realize its slow as molasses, but then, Genesis ran at less than 10MHz, so...)

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Man, the Mega Drive can run apps faster than Java can. =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.