don't click here

How would you redesign Sonic the Hedgehog?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Pulse, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member

Considering that Sonic render was used on magazine covers around the time of the Dreamcast's launch, I think it's safe to say Knuckles' render is old too.

Still taking another crack at retro Knuckles, I can post it when/if I'm finished.

2. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    Where is Tweaker and what have you done with him?

3. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    well, if you take the European box art...

[​IMG]

he's changed a lot!

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Come again?

5. RevFirst

RevFirst

Haha. Guess so, but was this design ever used again?

6. service gamer

service gamer

Bloomington, Indiana
    Trying my hardest to write a book
    If I may respectfully disagree with you on one point, I think it's possible that the classic design will be in Needlemouse. First, if Capcom can do it with Mega Man, why not Sega with Sonic? Second, though I'm kind of pulling this out of my ass my first thought upon seeing the silhouette of the Sonic emblem in the trailer was that it seemed to depict classic Sonic. Third, I feel that if the badnik art seems to hearken back to the Genesis days, why not Sonic's art? Finally, this game very much appears to be a service to those fans that have complained about the games over the years and/or craved a retro Sonic; if Sega is fulfilling that wish, why not cater the aesthetic desires? It's not as if they have canned it completely, what with his retro depiction on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. It seems like there's too much smoke here for there not to be at least a chance of fire. Having said that, if Needlemouse turns out to be Sonic 4 and the game delivers on those expectations on more important fronts (gameplay, story, music, etc.), they can redesign Sonic as Teletubbie and I wouldn't care.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Capcom went back to Classic Mega Man in general (series wise and in general), not just design wise.

And this thread was better when we were just discussing the art itself and didn't go all high and mighty and circle jerking ourselves.

"HERF A DERF SEGA SHOULD LISTEN TO US GUYS!" is very fucking annoying.

8. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

I was just having fun, I don't know how the thread got to that point. To be honest, I wouldn't care if Sonic Team said "Nah, we won't ever go back to Sonic's classic design again for anything". Why? I don't know. I only like Sonic's design from the japanese boxart of the first game. I find it more appealing than the Sonic CD design and later versions of his "classic" design. The newer designs are associated with ugliness since it's much harder to have something look appealing in 3D, I'll bet. An evening out of his proportions in games like Sonic 06' or disasters like Sonic Riders didn't do any favors. So far, I still like his design in Sonic Unleashed, as much as his classic design in fact. I'm open to interpretation of his design and everyone else ought to be too.

9. I love this post! But I agree with the whole Capcom thing with Megaman, however, I did like the direction they went with Mavrick Hunter X and Ultimate Ghost and Goblins. The whole going back to 8-bit seems to be more of a move to nostalgia (which works I might add) and also cost.

I am sure Sega will make a great Sonic game, not to mention I am a strong supporter of the Unleashed character model. As for the photoshop art, I am doing it for fun...... it just very interesting to see how many people view what is the ideal Sonic design the "essence" if you will. Sure the 1992 designs will always have a nich in all of us, but its the overall playful style that makes Sonic.

I really hope that Sega keeps the pixar-ish approach that was introduced in Unleashed, it seems to capture a lot of the old school charm.

10. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Sorry, I just have a very high regard and respect for the classic artwork. I can't help but give it the uttermost praise at any given time. Everything just looked so much better back then than today.

Obviously looks aren't going to mean jack shit for the actual game play, but it's nice to talk about such things as long as priorities are in check. I think we have a right to ask for the classic style back since there's a very distinct possibility Needlemouse is Sonic 4, after all.

Anyway Chimpo is right, my bullshit about this sort of stuff is making the thread get off track. I'll stop it here. My apologies.

11. OSM, I couldn't say it any better! The classic artwork is just great, and it is just something you don't see much these days.....

[​IMG]

When you have art like this....... you just want to see more of it these days. Ah, Nostalgia such a great thing. But great art is great art nonetheless.

12. Kylegamer98

Kylegamer98

Forever Trial Member Member
    Why has no one designed him like Mr. Needlemouse?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] (Not exact image I shopped)

Not a serious shop. :ssh:

And a bonus! Chibi Sonic:
    [​IMG]
    I think your on to something with that chibi style you did, The Pulse.

EDIT:He looks a little like Manic, doesn't he?

13. The Pulse

The Pulse

GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS Member
    Naaaw, I'm just the guy who started the topic and never got a single comment on my sketch from beyond page 1. I don't desire a single bit of feedback. :v:
    + - [/PassiveAgressiveAttentionWhoring]  

14. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

I thought you were joking with your drawings.

15. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I think they'd make interesting additions to the small animals that you save from badniks and eggpods.

16. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing

17. Machenstein

Machenstein

I know where you're coming from, and I am just as guilty as the last person here for escalating this elitist attitude. We did get too carried away with our desires for classic Sonic to return. If Sega does decide not to use the classic design for Needlemouse, I won't be too devastated. Disappointed, yes, but not so much so that I lose all interest for the game. As long as the game itself ends up being a solid experience, I will be content.

One thing I do disagree with is your 1992 statement. The appeal of classic Sonic has very little to do with time. Nostalgia may be a factor, but there is a reason why so many people associate classic Sonic with good memories in the first place. I would rather not confess this, but for the sake of this argument, I will: I was once a modern Sonic fan who disliked classic Sonic. I always did enjoy the Genesis games, but did not care much for Sonic's appearance on the American box arts and AoSTH. My evaluation of classic Sonic was based on the American design because it was the only one I knew back then. That was until I discovered the Sonic OVA and played Sonic CD for the first time back in 2003. Yes, that recent. I fell in love with the Japanese classic design and decided to make that my favorite version of Sonic from now on. I have developed a strong interest for Japanese classic Sonic media ever since then. And that was back in 2003.

I would like to believe that most other people would enjoy this version of Sonic as much as I do, but I also accept that my tastes are very specific. Nonetheless, I see great potential in this version of Sonic and I would love to see Sega tap into it. I also want to see Sega explore the possibilities of their other characters such as Ristar or Alex Kidd. They have the same specific appeal that classic Sonic has and I really gravitate towards it. Maybe I just have an affinity towards cute characters, but I know it has very little to do with nostalgia.

18. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    talking about redesigning sonic, does anyone remember this?

[​IMG]

It's a perfect mix between Sonic adventure art style and classic sonic. And it is official from Sega. I love this so mucho...

By the way, does anyone have the japanese saturn sonic 3d flickies island art for tails and knuckles? I remember seein those a while back ago, but now I can only find sonic's, flickies and eggman's.

19. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Wha?

20. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    It was posted a few pages back.

I also notice how noone realized that the earlier Sonic Artwork have both his Head spines and his back spines connected like a bushy spine from head to back like Mighty's Shell. I wonder if it was possible to translate that as a CGI Model.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.