don't click here

Holy Shit!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dr. D'nar, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. D'nar

Dr. D'nar

I wouldn't trust me if I were you Member
    Some random guy still using Win98SE and DOS (good assembly programmer though) comes in, and I start talking to him. Some time later, this pops up:
    Can some one get their hands on one? Specs

2. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    I know of the X68k, but I've never heard that it was based on the MD hardware. It certainly well surpasses the MD in most ways, and the only thing that I can see it shares is the CPU on the base X68k model, and even then the X68k is clocked faster.

Here is a Wikipedia article on the X68k.

3. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Yeah what he's describing sounds more like the Teradrive/MegaPC than that, but who knows.

4. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    All I know of that system is that there's a Castlevania game on it. Go figure =P

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The only thing I can think of that relates this computer to the MegaDrive is that Yuzo Koshiro used to compose his music on the x68000.

6. Dioxaz

Dioxaz

Oldbie
    Sonic Rush No Vocal
    The machine iceman150m is describing IS the Tera Drive from 1991.

Keep in mind that the x68000 and the Sega Tera Drive are two different machines:

- One as released in 1987 by Sharp and the other in 1991 by Sega
    - One is a simple computer not even PC-compatible (MSX-compatible only) where the other is a PC-compatible capable of running MD/Genesis cartridges (like the Amstrad MegaPC from 1992)
    - One seems to output proprietary video RGB signals where the other outputs VGA or TV (15 KHz RGB) signals (I'm sure the x68000 monitor doesn't even have that standart 15-pin VGA connector)
    - One has an YM2151* FM sound-chip where the other uses YM2612 (and is only available in MD mode, not PC)

Well there could be more differences, but there could be similarities, who knows? Even if I doubt. :P

*the same that is used in many arcade games but also some Yamaha DX synths (the DX27 and 100 come to mind).

7. chaosruins

chaosruins

The Aiwa CSD-G1M Mega Drive/Mega CD unit (basically a MegaDrive and Mega CD integrated into a Aiwa CD player) looks interesting. Various variations of the MegaDrive here with info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megadrive

8. Sintendo

Sintendo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.