don't click here

Help Running A PC Game

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Ravenfreak, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Since I don't want to bump a topic I made months ago (I can't even remember when I made it...) I decided to make a new thread, so the Mods can merge the two if you'd like. Anyway, months ago my girlfriend bought the Rugrats Adventure Game and we couldn't get it to run. Of course, we tried running it even after downloading Quicktime 3.0 it still wouldn't run. So I decided that today, we'd download virtual box and try to run it on there. I don't know which version will work, and I just attempted to download version 1.6 and I get this error "This program has not passed Windows Logo testing." This isn't her computer, it's her father's and I don't want to risk having the OS become unstable. So does anyone have any ideas on how I can get this game to run?

2. System specs for the computer might help.

3. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Also, why not give us some info on the game itself?

4. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Well the game is compatible for Windows 95, 98, and power PC. As for the pc specs here's a print screen because I'm lazy. xP
    [​IMG]

5. dsrb

dsrb

> 2.79 GHz, 1.99 GB of RAM
    :psyduck:

Should I assume that you've already tried Compatibility Mode and suchlike? That would be the simplest/first thing to do.

Version 1.6 of VirtualBox? That doesn't sound good. It's currently at version 3.2.8. Anyway, Windows 9x is not officially supported, and (even in the latest VB version) doesn't work too well in my or others' experience.

6. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Yep tried it in Compatibility mode too. I only assumed that perhaps an older build would be compatible with xp. :v: We've tried pretty much everything I suppose. I guess I need to hook up my old HP Pavilion with Windows 98, but then she'd only be able to play her game at my house and I don't necessarily have the room to hook it up at. :\

7. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member

Have you tried a virtual machine running Wine on Linux or Windows 98? I know that nearly all Windows 98 games run great on Wine on Linux in a virtual machine, and quite definitely it would work in a virtual machine of Windows 98.

8. dsrb

dsrb

Edit: misreading.
    Yeah, you could try the latest version of VirtualBox with 98 (SE is best, I presume), although there's quite a bit of config to do before you get usable results (if at all). Check the VirtualBox forums, specifically the Tutorials subforum and the Windows 9x topic (and the related discussion topic on another subforum). To be honest, it may not work anyway, and probably isn't worth the sheer hassle in the end. Perhaps there's a (much) simpler way.

9. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    Most Virtual Machine packages out there don't officially support Windows 9x anymore. A better bet would be to use a lightweight Linux distribution with the latest Wine with the game inside a virtual machine. Maybe Xubuntu?

10. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    I was actually trying to get virtual box to work on her father's computer that runs XP. :\ Perhaps I should just hook up my computer and run it on there? Or should I try to install virtual box on her father's computer again?

11. dsrb

dsrb

Again, I don't think it's worth the hassle, since 9x isn't supported and may or may not run well even once you get graphics, sound, etc. sorted.

If you must try it, though, use the latest version of VirtualBox. 1.6 must be ancient.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.