don't click here

Happy Sonic 2 Day!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Qjimbo, Nov 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Regardless of what crap SEGA have pushed on us this year, at least we can rest assured that Sonic 2's 14th, and Sonic 1's 15th were celebrated with the discovery of a brand new Prototype cartridge.

Sonic 2's release back in 1992 was huge, and I still have fond childhood memories of bringing my Megadrive into school and playing Sonic 2 2player with the class. It is a really awesome game.

2. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    Yeah! Happy Sonic 2 Day! I will never forget the memories that I have playing this fun game.

3. I think the 2d games will always have a visceral impact the 3d ones will never match - no matter how many polygons are rendered.

its how sonic was supposed to be. Same reason why 3D pinball will never cut it as a game.

4. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Happy Sonic 2 Day :) The best Game in the Sonic Series in my opinion :) just a shame they stopped working on Hidden Palace.....

DJ

5. Vinnie

Vinnie

Happy Sonic 2 Day :) This is also my favourite game in the series.

6. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance

1-9-9-2 1-1 2-4

The only release date for a Sonic game I can remember thanks to Debug Mode. :) Have a good one!

7. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    It's true that it's hard since Sonic was a 2D concept, but it's not impossible. There are a lot of things that can be improved in the 3D titles that will make them much better, even if some things just can't be done in 3D.

8. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    OH NO! Not sonic2day! Why are you celebrating HIS Birthday!

=P

9. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    Sonic 2 was my first videogame ever, and still in my top 10 list of the best games of all time.

Happy Sonic 2 day!

10. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    One thing I observed in the latter half of the 90s was a rush by developers to bring all their franchises to 3D, even when some of them blatantly didn't work in 3D. Sonic was one of them, Megaman another. At the time I remember cursing them for sullying their franchises for the sake of a graphical fad.

Happy Sonic 2sday. Even if it is a Friday.

11. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Well, many companies got it right, though. Super Mario 64 and Legend of Zelda: OoT were amazing games. As for Rockman games, if we don't count Dash series and Command Mission, Rockman practically stayed in 2D (GBA) and 2.5D (PS2). Sonic Team actually could have done it better with SA, but guess they just rushed it, cause there was a really big hype about 3D.

Anyway, Happy Sonic 2sday.

12. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    Let's all celebrate Sonic 2sday by playing a bit of Sonic 2, on the real MD if possible :) Still one of the best 2D games ever produced, IMO, and still good by today's standards!

I've also done a bit of research and found out that Sonic onesday was a Wednesday, Sonic twosday was a Tuesday and Sonic threesday was a Thursday! Coincidence? =P

13. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    I remember that I couldn't get past Wing Fortress zone... Then my brother got through and fought against Silver Sonic. I said "If you beat this guy, I won't play this game again for a long time." Turns out he beat him, and I got Sonic 1 the next day, leaving Sonic 2 on my shelf for about 3 years. =P

14. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    I still remember the day I got it. Was so hooked I played it till late in the night.

15. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Heh. I got this in Christmas 1994, and played it for an entire year (I was only 6) to beat it. There's even some old videotape of me playing it at that age.

It's just a shame they never followed up Sonic3&Knuckles with another blockbuster 2D game.

(Sonic Rush comes close, but fails when it comes to 2.5D and weirdness which does not feel specifically Sonic-like, especially since it uses a lot of the less interesting 'modern' concepts)

16. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Too bad Sonic 2 came out the same year I was born, so I can't remember getting it. I was about.. 3 or 4 months old when it did. Happy Sonic 2 day anyway!

17. Vangar

Vangar

Happy Sonic 2 day! I still have it sitting with the megadrive above me, and it will never move from there :P

18. Wemes

Wemes

In before the day ends. It's funny how I still know those codes after so many years.

19. C. Shyguy

C. Shyguy

I was about 5 or so when it came out. Oh what fun it was. *remembers fun*

20. Robjoe

Robjoe

Ahh, Sonic 2, a wonderful game it is. I got it packaged in with my Genesis II back in Christmas '94. Truth be told though, I sucked ass at it at first. Hell, Tails had to teach me how to spin-dash. XD But time passed, and I was eventually able to beat it. Fast-forward to now, I've just finished beating it again, with all the emeralds, on the original hardware, on that same cartridge I got back in 1994. Now I'm enjoying the songs from Hedgehog Heaven, and reflecting on the many hours I've spent playing the game (and the other classics too).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.