don't click here

Happy 18th Birthday Sonic the Hedgehog!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Yay, go play any of the online Phantasy Star games today! (Sonic and co. appears.)

Hopefully we get a good 20th anniversary.

2. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    18 years and still running.
    18 years and still troubling.

May you continue for at least 18 other years.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Tell me about it. =P For the first time in as long as I can remember I beat the final boss on the first go without being hit (considering it usually takes multiple lives to do this), and I died on WFZ's boss like 4 times. >_>

4. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    I haven't died on WFZ's boss, or the final boss in years :psyduck:

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Good lord what did I just read.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Utter crap?

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I don't care, I think Sonic 1 is dull. Seriously wtf is up with levels like Spring Yard Zone? "Oh hey I have to stop and hit that switch, oh wait a roller just came out of no where and hit me" "I finally gained some speed up, oh wait no time to go up that fucking floating platform puzzle for the 100th time to simply waste time" "Hey I need to jump across this pit, oh wait there is a fucking floating spike ball"

Granted it's not all bad. Green Hill Zone and Star Light Zone are great. Star Light Zone has a ton of different paths to take that mix things up a bit. Marble Zone and Scrap Brain (Least act 1 and 2) have their own charm. But I just hate Spring Yard and Labryinth Zone (Especially Labrynith. Its a water level done wrong. Chemical Plant and Hydrocity did a much better job with that IMO). But I think that compared to Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 and Knuckles Sonic 1 is much more dull.

EDIT: I say this mainly out of the number of times I played it. I guess the game is less dull then it is simply stale now. I'm going to give that game a break for quite a while before I play it again. It's certainly a good game, but it's not my favorite of the original series.

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    *shrug*

I still say S2's final boss is the hardest boss of the 4 main Mega Drive Sonic titles. Provided you time your jumping properly, DEZ2's final boss is easier on section 2, and 1 & 3 are piss. S1's final boss is just laughable, now =P More time consuming than anything else.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic 2's boss took me 9 years to beat iirc. However now it's just easy. Sonic 1's is the easiest of all, but it's luck where he shows up so it takes a while. Here's my strategy.

Run to the right
    Wait for Robotnik, if he is there hit him
    Stand in the middle and wait for the orbs to start homing in on you
    Run back to the right

repeat as many times as needed =P

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I guess that S2's is the hardest, but at the same time if you only hit him right after landing you should live.

Of course, you can also play like me and just get 7 hits in before he takes off the first time anyway.

11. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

Sonic 2's final boss is torture as Knuckles. At least it gives continues and extra lives actual use.

12. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Or painful epiphany?

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Sonic 1 was greatly paced. Make it too fast and you get Chemical Plant Zone 1 or most of Sonic CD -- sure, it's fun to watch but the challenge fades quickly. Either that or you get cheap stages like a lot of Unleashed or Battletoads that never slow down properly and require heavy amounts of rote memorization.

Sonic 1 is the only of the games that in any way still presents a challenge, partly because speed wasn't just handed to you on a silver platter like most of the later games (except in Star Light), and partly because there's some real platforming in Marble, Labyrinth, and Spring Yard Zones. (And damn if there aren't many opportunities to win at the special stages compared to the other games too.)

14. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    It doesn't hand you speed on a silver platter, but at the same time, it presents a lot of scenarios where getting real speed is impossible (particularly in Marble and Labyrinth). It's one thing to make speed a valuable commodity; it's another to design levels that forcibly slow you down.

15. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Am I the only one who things this line should rather apply to S3&K? O_o

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Marble Garden and Mushroom Hill would like to disagree with you.

17. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Sonic 1 only gives you 10 chances of which you need 6 (60% =P). S3&K has at least 70 (and I think over 8), of which you need only 7 (less than 10%).

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    And that's not even mentioning that in S1 you have to get 50 rings and hold onto them until the end of the level. S3K allows you to do so just by finding the special stage rings -- though I'd go with 14 of them needed, just because that's the "true ending" really. :P

19. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Oops, right. It's still under 20%, compared to the 60% of Sonic 1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.