don't click here

Global Meeting 2013 (aka Globalka)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Rush, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Rush

Rush

break the madness Member
    I don't know if it's appropriate to post it here, but here it goes.

Since 2005, every summer, Russian and fellow CIS sonic fans are gathering at Moscow to held a Global Meeting (or as we call it, Globalka). Unlike Summer of Sonic, it goes for five or six days (or longer, it's actually depends on your liver endurance, hehe), in which we're playing various Sonic games (those who can't afford or not willing to buy themselves a console, but just wanted to play certain games that they couldn't before), organizing a few championships (like speedrunning classic Sonic games or dueling on Sonic Adventure 2) with Sonic-related prizes; and, off course, drinking vodka in woods (they prefer call it "camping", but I'm sure you're not deceived by this explanation).

It's actually a lot more fun than I can explain; every time we're meeting new friends, new rivals to play with, sometimes it's goes far beyond just friendship with people finding themselfs their second halfs and all that stuff. And every time guys and gals that are behind all this, namely, administration of Sonic World (http://sonic-world.ru) along with few activists, are taking the show to the whole new level, trying their best to entertain all fans of Sonic in Russia and CIS. We're not funded by SEGA or anyone else (I'm not sure if that's a sad fact or not), but this time in particular, we're trying to "internationalize" Globalka, showing that we can have fun too, not being enable to come to the Summer of Sonic due to various reasons : )

The whole point of this message is not to say we're somehow better or worse than you guys, but to say that Russian fans of Sonic is actually pretty much alive and kicking! : )
    If you guys wish to spend your time with us, you're welcome to come to the Moscow on 27 July to have a good time!

Related stuff:
    http://globslet.ru/2013/english_version/ — actual site about this event

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2GAIg5rK1c
    — last year Gaming event, short compilation of what we're doing there

And TSSZ wrote an article about Globalka. For obvious reason there will be no link, cause I despise kittens. Love bears though.

Sorry for my english.

P.S. I am actually pretty eager to hear your opinions on this matter. It's about time we're going really global and I think Retro is the right place for this
    P.P.S. At the gaming event, there will be "CulT trophy", championship that I ogranize; there is always a some hard hack and people are trying to speedrun it, it's very funny to watch. If I remember correctly, there was well-known Sonic 2 XL hack that everyone loved and last time there was a hack of Sonic 1 with invisible level tiles, it was made by our Russian Hacker, a member of SonicSCANF (sorry if I was mistaken), which caused a lot of frustration to my amusement. This time there will be… hey, thats a secret :P

2. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    Is that you with the Sonic hat on in the video?

3. Rush

Rush

break the madness Member
    No. But I actually won this hat for 2nd place on Sonic Riders, if I remember correctly.
    As far as I know, I didn't make it to this particular video, but there is a lot of me on photos. I hate my ugly mug anyway.