don't click here

Getting a new mouse and a keyboard

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by winterhell, Jun 27, 2015.

1. winterhell

winterhell

In the past I've used various mices from logitech, and am currently with a 13 years old Microsoft Wheel Optical 1.1 ( 2 buttons and a scroll). It it starting to fall apart so I need a new one.
    I'd prefer it to be around $30, but a more expensive one is possible if its worth it. It should be with 1000Hz polling rate (1ms interval). Having 2 additional buttons would be nice.

Should I go with a specific Razer model?(I hear they aren't as good as they used to be).

Oh and a mechanical keyboard suggestion?

Thanks.

2. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I would suggest going for Logitech and not Razor. Everyone I know with a Razor mouse has had theirs fall apart. They're simply not worth the price. I myself have owned a Logitech G300 for several years now, and one of my friends had his MX Revolution last for literally a decade.

3. Flygon

Flygon

Seconding Logitech, their mice are unkillable. Been using two M90s here for about 7-8 years, and they still won't die.

4. winterhell

winterhell

The G300 doesnt seem suitable for me(how do you even have side buttons on top of your mouse without touching them by accident?)

What do you think about Logitech G502 or the cheaper G402 ?

5. Yuzu

Yuzu

If you can get the G400s I can happily recommend it, best mouse I've ever used.

It costs around $40 afaik

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Razor is ridiculously overpriced, their prices might be worth it if the kit was gold plated or something. =P

7. winterhell

winterhell

Can you turn off the lights on the Logitech mice? I don't really need it to tell me my PC is running nor to find its location.

8. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    You can disable the LEDs, although to do so requires the Logitech gaming software.

I've been using a G502 since the beginning of this year and have been nothing but pleased with it. I bought it partly for the unlockable scroll wheel, there's nothing quite so satisfying as spinning the wheel at high speed. You can set the DPI to ludicrously high levels as well, which I guess future-proofs it to a certain extent if nothing else.

As for keyboard, a few months ago I picked up a Corsair Vengeance K70 with red switches, and this thing is totally boss. I love Corsair's design aesthetic. It looks slick as fuck and is easy to clean below the keycaps, as they're not recessed into the casing like most keyboards. Got red LEDs too, but that's not what I bought it for - I get the appeal of LED key switches but it's just not my thing.

9. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Logitech mice totally do die, mind you. I tend to find it's either the mouse wheel that goes (as happened to an old trackball mouse I used to love), or the left mouse button (as has happened to two of my replacement mice, including a G500 that I rather liked).

That said, I still keep coming back to them. Rocking a G502 right now. It looks like the most unergonomic thing ever, with all those angles jutting out everywhere, but it's actually pretty good.

10. winterhell

winterhell

Yeah I had a Logitech MX500 wireless or something from 2003 and the right button gave up after couple of years. So I'm cautious of that mouse body which they seem to put on every other mice

The G502 seems like the one I'm going to go with. Fingers cross it'll last.

As far as the keyboard goes, the Corsair Vengeance K70's border is too thin, I like to have at least a finger thickness to the left and right sides. Otherwise looks good.

11. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I third the quality of a Logitech mouse. My last wired USB mouse from them had an awful resolution, the click-wheel button stopped working right in less than a year, and the case would get caked in grease from my hands easily. One time when I took it apart to remove said grease, the click-wheel's spring popped off while it was running, and made enough contact with some of the the PCB's pins to fry it. Then, I bought an HP mouse at the same price with a better resolution, and a much better case, that's still ticking along just fine, WHAT, THE, F-

Although I would bet it was a case of, "You get what you pay for.", because that mouse was $15, and it felt like it too. I've had more expensive wireless mice from them in the past, and there was simply no killing them, ever. I used to have a wireless Logitech mouse that had a trackball instead of a laser, and wow was that thing awesome, (It'd take a whole month before I would need to recharge its triple-A batteries.) I wish I still had it, that thing took a real beating between me making pixel art for six hours at a time, and marathoning first-person shooters.

Also, portable wireless Microsoft mice are pretty nice as well. The only thing wrong with the one I have was a relative dumped it on me for having a twitchy click-wheel, (Occasionally, scrolling down scrolls up a bit.) but only web browsers seem to hate it. Switching weapons with it in a shooter like Quake III is fine and dandy, so I see no need to take it apart and fix it. More or less a slightly faulty unit, than wear and tear, because they bought a replacement that's working right.

12. winterhell

winterhell

Yeah I've also had the Logitech wireless trackball. Its amazing.

As far as the DPI/resolution it sometimes depends on the surface. Sometimes cheaper mice perform better directly on the wooden desk while the expensive perform better on the special surface. Imagine a how a F1 bolid would not even be able to go anywhere off-road, but a Jeep would have no problem there. On the track the bolid would run laps around the jeep.

I ordered the G502, gonna post feedback when I try it.

13. Yuzu

Yuzu

I would just like to push that Logitech have amazing customer service, and will replace any of your devices within it's first year and usually extend past that out of sheer kindness.

I had a G600 at one point, and I found it extremely awkward to use, so when it broke I asked them if I could swap it for a g400s and they were perfectly fine with it.

14. winterhell

winterhell

I'm buying from Amazon (there is no amazon in my country so there is shipping tax) and I don't know If I'll have to pay for shipping again if it breaks. It might be cheaper to just get a $15 or so mouse from a local store in case of breaking.