don't click here

"Game Players" February 1994 Sonic 3 Preview Scans

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Graxer, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graxer

Graxer

Here are some scans I just took of the Sonic 3 preview in the February 1994 issue of Game Players. The version used is possibly a prototype (although probably a late one) so it may be of interest to someone: (click for larger size)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I had that exact magazine. I did not think I would ever see it again, thank you Graxer. ;__;

3. Graxer

Graxer

No problem.

On the 4th page of the preview it seems to imply that Hydrocity used to start with you shooting out of the "waterspout". That could mean the act transition with the waterfall hadn't been added yet.

4. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I'd not be surprised if the magazine made that bit up or are just going by screenshot batches given to them, but maybe not if they hd enough to construct an overview of AIZ.

Gonna say it's made up though.

5. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    "All hail the Hedgehog King!"

We sure don't hear that anymore, but damn they promoted Sonic like a poster child back in the day. It was crazy.

6. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I'm not sure how you got that from that page. Considering there's 32 seconds on the counter, I'd guess it's no different than what we have.

7. Graxer

Graxer

Ah, good point. I was going by what was written in the caption.

8. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I have the follow-up issue with Sonic and Knuckles, if anyone's interested.

9. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    I am. Scan/post it please!

10. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Stupid ugly pink bastard stealing Sonic's gems :words:

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Anyone else notice the fact that they report 7 Save slots instead of 6? I guess they miscounted, or SEGA removed it for technical reasons unknown. Either way, they should fix that.

12. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    There's 7 slots in that image of the save screen.

13. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Keep in mind, it's only possible to have a few of them on screen at a time. That shot is a composite, the way they made it, the number of slots in the shot has to be a multiple of 3, so seven slots + delete + no save gives you 9.

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    May have just been done for the sake of BG alignment or something, since you can show 3 at a time and they had to take 3 pictures to show every space (there are 6 slots + no save + delete = 8 spaces thus the number of pictures taken is 8/3 -> 3 when rounded up from appx. 2.67) on the thing.
    They may have then just pasted the three images together, which would account for that.

EDIT: Damn.

15. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    I know this is quite obvious, but the review is based on a near-final/final version.

16. MDave

MDave

Head Ninja Member
    North Wales
    BladeBattles - Indie PC game.
    "The graphics are knockout, and nearly all the character animation was painstakingly rendered using 3-D models instead of flat cartoons, making it smooth, smooth, smooth."

Eh? I thought they were hand drawn for Sonic 3, and used 3-D models for Sonic 2's characters, and a few elements for the stages? :)

17. I'm pretty sure you got that backwards, Sonic 2's sprites were hand-drawn and Sonic 3 was 3d.

18. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    I noticed them talking about the 3D thing too. I knew Donkey Kong Country did it, but Sonic 3?

Also when they were talking about the signpost, they said If you hit it enough times THAT would make the monitor appear, when it is really you have to make it bounce on the ground right where the monitor is.

19. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    Neat article, thanks for the upload!

On the second image, for the bonus level screenshot, they must've paused the game right when they were turning. Interesting choice of timing to take a photo. Also, it says 'all new' 2 player split-screen action mode, yet it was 'new' in Sonic 2. :)

20. SonarDragon

SonarDragon

Aye, but there is a new mode. Competition mode of course! :eng101:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.