don't click here

Everdrive Cart

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Vangar, May 29, 2011.

1. Vangar

Vangar

So I was having a look around for the best cart to get, and I'm thinking of getting this one, the MD Everdrive Flash Cart. The SD cart slot looks like an easy way to load ROMs, but would something like that be good for testing homebrew code? Is there anything better I should look into?

Of course the added bonus would be to play a full SD card of ROMs on the real hardware!

Does anyone here have one of these, and if so, what are your thoughts about the cart?

2. sasuke

sasuke

I have one of these, and I think it is good for testing homebrew, since it has the right amount of flash and SRAM to run nearly every Genesis game (except for EEPROM and SVP games, of course), and I haven't had any problems with it. However, keep in mind that the shell for the cart is not included, but it is designed to fit any standard US/EU cart shell. Also, since it uses flash, the times to re-flash the cart may take a few seconds, especially for large games.

3. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    http://stoneagegamer.com/everdrive_deluxe.aspx

It will cost you a bit more for the bigger package. Never used one of these and have no plans to due to the price, but I've seen some of what they can do. What's really impressive is how many consoles have support now. EverDrive 64 is coming out soon. If you want a much cheaper alternative, you could try a Genesis clone - several AtGames models have SD Card support. Of course the sound emulation isn't perfect, but it's the next best thing:

Arcade Ultimate
    Arcade Motion Dual
    Arcade Master

They might not run homebrew, though.

4. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    Another plus of getting a flash cart like the Everdrive is the ability to run 32X and SMS games. That allows for testing two more platforms on real hardware: SMS, MD, and 32X. A clone will only handle most (not all) MD games and nothing else.

5. Flygon

Flygon

I've used my Everdrive for various things, and I can vouch for its sheer awesometasticness. I very highly recommend getting one.

6. Vangar

Vangar

Awesome. I will definitely be getting one now.

7. cornholio857

cornholio857

The Great Cornholio Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    In search of TP
    If you get one without the shell you can just find and old Genesis sports game to use for it's case. That's what I hear alot of people do. There's even a user at another forum I frequent(mrbigreddog from Sega-16) that prints out HQ Cart Stickers and Clamshell Inserts for the Genesis EverDrive. Only thing is that he hasn't been online for a while.

His work:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Tamkis

Tamkis

Banned
    Pennsylvania
    Megaman 2: The Robotnik Wars, Unnamed S3&K hack
    I have been planning recently to start writing Mega console homebrew myself, and have thought about possibly getting a flashcart like this to try my code (and official games!) on actual hardware (after getting a Genesis). Where is the best place to buy one, and how much is it? Don't include shaddy Asian websites in your search!

9. cornholio857

cornholio857

The Great Cornholio Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    In search of TP
    I know that on Sega-16 people sell them every now and then. Also, the ones that do are usually in the US. Prices vary, but you could always make an offer to the user that has one to sell. In fact, that's probably where I'll get mine. Along with the Cart Sticker and Clamshell Insert.

10. Vangar

Vangar

11. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    I'd recommend StoneAgeGamer, but his web site is down for some reason. :ohdear:

EDIT: It's back up. You can find the links for this up in post #3.