don't click here

Errors noted in AIZ1 with Sonic

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by unAWARE, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unAWARE

unAWARE

Mmm...morphball! Member
    Southwest Michigan
    Raising my son
    I was playing through S3K a few months ago...and by using debug mode, I put sonic just past the rocks where Sonic and Knuckles paths seperate. The game did not take too well to this, and when I formed back into sonic, it killed me. I formed back into an item, and whenever I would pass a certian point, it would either jump me upwards above the rock area, or set off a whole slew of glitches. Anyone else notice the same errors? Images below.

Culprit Area:
    [​IMG]

Glitch:
    [​IMG]

Where it jumps me to:
    [​IMG]

2. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
    OLD'D

3. unAWARE

unAWARE

Mmm...morphball! Member
    Southwest Michigan
    Raising my son
    My bad. Just something I'd thought I'd "discovered". I'll post the pictures anyways.

4. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    No S3K findings are interesting after those two words.
    Good effort though.

5. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    Seeing as Sonic isn't even SUPPOSED to be in Knuckles area, you're bound to get some glitches when you go there with debug. It may have something to do with the fact that Knuckles AIZ Act 2 starts underground, but the screen bottom is locked to a higher position for Sonic. Therefore, you fall off the bottom of the screen and die.

6. theColombiano11

theColombiano11

Pending Member
    is there anyway to manipulate this so that sonic can take Knuckle's route?

7. unAWARE

unAWARE

Mmm...morphball! Member
    Southwest Michigan
    Raising my son
    that's kind of what I was getting at. I want to make it possible for Sonic to be able to explore some of the Knucles-only areas, which probably means editing DSRs, and right now, I haven't a clue about hex. I'm just starting to grasp it.

8. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    DLEs.

*runs*

9. Bit-Blade

Bit-Blade

Risonic
    Hex is incredible easy to understand. You just have to keep in mind 2 things. 1) As a base 16 numbering system it has (naturally enough) 16 digits. The extra 6 'numbers' are the first 6 letters of the alphabet. 2) Every $10 in hex indicates you should multiply the tens digit by 16 (not to get 160), but to note that $10 is actually 16, $20 is actually 32, etc. Basically, the tens place does indicate how many mutiples of 16 a number is in the tens place. A number in the ones place will tell you only what number it is between 0-15. If you start seeing letters in the ones place, just remember this:

9=9
    A=10
    B=11
    C=12
    D=13
    E=14
    F=15

It is also important (for romhacking) to keep in mind the computer way of counting. 0 is counted and used as a normal number, just like 1-F. In other words, 0 is used a lot like if it were actually the number 1, the first number that is counted.

Bytes should be the only numbers you will be deaing with (in other words, mostly two digit hex numbers), but you should be aware of how larger digit hex numbers function. It's actually not all that dissimiliar to binary. The 3rd digit, hundreds place, would be mutiples of 256 (each "place" is 16 times higher than the last (1x16=16x16=256x16=4096x16, etc), much like each digit in Decimal is 10 times higher than the last). I hope this makes sense (if parts of it are confusing, just ask questions).

10. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I'm sure I remember getting into Knuckles' area. Maybe that was Sonic 3 alone. I recall you go through until it gets to a point where random garbage tiles appear (I guess it's a boss intro thing whose tiles and event aren't there) and then you fall to your death.

11. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Jeez, what's with all these "OMG IT SCREWS UP IN DEBUG MODE" findings. Debug mode, as the name implies, is for debugging and testing and not normal gameplay, hence why you get these errors. They're not bugs.

It's like hitting a Sonic 2 cart with a hammer while it's in the genesis and showing screenshots of how glitched up it is as if it's the games fault.

12. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    That's the second time you've called it a Genesis. Traitor.

13. unAWARE

unAWARE

Mmm...morphball! Member
    Southwest Michigan
    Raising my son
    it's more of a "figure out if I can get over there" thing than a "show what debug did" thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.