don't click here

Dust Hill Mock-up Oddity

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Kama, Jan 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    You know that Crocodile robot that`s seen in the Mock-up of Dust Hill? By a strange (or not so strange) coincidence one of the Egyptian gods was a crocodile.
    Did the level artist place this robot in the mock-up to serve as a reference to this god. Or is it just a coincidence? Just thought I`d point it out.

2. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    *looks at the date that Wyvernlord joined, looks at his post count, and realizes that G_W posted more in a few weeks than most have done in months.* But I've never noticed that. But considering that I don't really study Egyptian mythology, I shouldn't even be commenting here, but meh.

3. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Q. Why would there be a crocodile in a desert?
    A. Go ask the Egyptians.

Heh. I think you're reading a little too much into the mock-up. It also has a Buzzer.

Q. Why would a misshapen bee be in a desert?
    A. ?

4. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    I think its a coincidence.

5. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    Big Deal. <_<

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    She just used the graphics that were available at the moment.

Case closed.

7. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    That was very... cruel... to just do that, ICEKnight. He may have a point. After all, Brenda Ross wasn't an enemy designer. She didn't make the crocodile, so it very well might have been meant for Dust Hill, and she just took the art, not REALIZING it was for Dust Hill.

8. Simon

Simon

Oldbie
    I think it was proven by Nemesis (or was it someone else?) that the crocodile was meant for Hidden Palace Zone.

9. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    ? How was it proven if it is just a sprite in the game?

10. Simon

Simon

Oldbie
    It had to do with an old, scrapped Hidden Palace Zone palette, or something. I don't remember the details, so I'll have to look it up.

11. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    The crocodile sprite (fully programmed in our beta IIRC) looks best with the second palette line (unused) of HPZ.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think I was the first one to bring that up, remember that my "crocodiles in HPZ" hack was made with that in mind. Some time later, the correct graphics were found and there were no more doubts about it anymore (or so I thought).

Jeez, I didn't mean to be cruel but as Simon said, the only stage where we know for sure that the crocodiles made an appearance was Hidden Palace, before they decided to add the waterfalls in the foreground.

It could be that the crocodile was originally designed for the desert, but we don't even have any kind of proof that the level layout itself was ever started, so even if that was true at first, it's very possible that the crocodile bot was never added to that level. It's not very useful to argue over something that can't be officially proven. Just like arguing over Chemical Plant being Genocide City originally.

And for those who are wondering, yes, a crocodile in that stage would make a lot of sense. Not because of some random god, but because of something else that should be of common knowledge. Look at the very bottom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.