don't click here

DOOM 32X IWAD Converter

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by saxman, Dec 15, 2009.

1. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Version 0.99 now available:

http://www.4shared.com/file/182197836/1022...wad32x_099.html

The new version fixes a bug with the command line arguments interpretations where only lowercase letters could be used. That's no longer the case. Also, importing now puts the data into a ROM rather than creating a new 32X-formatted WAD file, so my little copying utility included in the last release is no longer necessary.

2. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I modified my program slightly to work with the Jaguar WAD file. I copied the maps missing from the 32X version from the Jaguar version. And now I present the expanded 24-level version of DOOM 32X:

http://www.4shared.com/file/184472853/8de1293f/JAG32X.html

I even modified the level selection on the menu so you could select from any of the maps up to 24. Levels 16-22 were the ones that were missing from the 32X version, so those are the maps you'll probably want to try out. All of them work except for level 20 -- the 32X runs out of memory unfortunately =/

As I mentioned in previous posts, the 32X maps are identical to the Jaguar maps, so it only makes sense to get the missing maps from the Jaguar version of DOOM. It gives it that "official" feel to it =)

3. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Considering the PC version has a total of 27 stages (not counting Episode 4), I have to ask which 3 levels got cut. Just the secret stages, or...?

4. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    E2M8, E3M8, and E3M9. That's two boss levels and a secret level. I can only guess they were cut because the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind were both cut from the game -- E2M8 and E3M9 both contain the Cyberdemon, and E3M8 contains the Spider Mastermind.

5. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    What's odd is, I thought that E2M9 also had a cyberdemon... Maybe it was just removed from that level, though, because it wasn't necessary to completing the level.

I could be wrong about the whole thing, though.

6. Sintendo

Sintendo

According to this, E2M9 only contains Cacodemons and Barons of Hell on any skill level.

7. You are.Only Cacodemons and Barons are there.

EDIT: Oh, derp. I'm too slow.

8. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I just discovered that E3M1 and E3M2 are missing also. They're replaced by Jaguar-exclusive maps. So if you've never played the Jaguar version, you can try them out in my hack.

9. Sintendo

Sintendo

Finishing level 19 (E3M4) causes the game to give you an error (I_Error: Z_Malloc: failed on 152) when trying to load the next level (which according to the game is level 13). However, manually selecting level 13 doesn't seem to cause any errors, for some reason.

10. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    For some reason, The Jag32x rom isn't working in Kega. It just loads to a black screen, and stops. It says it has an incorrect checksum; this may be the problem.

11. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    That's level 20 it's trying to load, and it doesn't load because it runs out of memory. That's the only map that has that problem though.

There should be an option in Kega to automatically fix the checksum.

12. [​IMG]

Well, that was easier than I thought it was going to be...

13. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Some people are making very heavy use of my utility around the DOOM community:

Hypertension32X
    -- http://tdgmods.blogspot.com/2010/01/screen...part-2-32x.html

32X DOOM TC / Jaguar DOOM TC:
    -- http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=24623

How about a port of Sonic Doom II: Bots on Mobius??

Also, I'm planning to release v1.00 of the utility. I don't know exactly when, but it'll happen. It'll include a bug fix and maybe a few other little things. I'll also make sure it corrects the checksum when patching the 32X ROM (since that seems to be a major problem with many who have used my utility.)

14. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I'll mention this once again hoping it gets added : checksum fixing for the output ROM, right now the checksum is not fixed and people need to manually fix things if they want to use real HW.

15. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Oh God, 32X Chex Quest would be so hot.

Especially if it included the stages from CQ2 and CQ3 (although since CQ3 was designed for ZDoom, I dunno how well that port'd work)...

16. Not very well, if at all: Aside from the DECORATE and Doom 2 stuff, the maps themselves are in HeXens format than the original Doom format, which means the maps would need to be converted to Doom format first.

17. I've already got all the sprites ported, now to work on textures/flats and maps...

18. [​IMG]

I love this program.

19. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    How did I miss your posts on Doomworld?

20. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member