don't click here

Does the drowning music scare you?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SonikkuForever, Nov 14, 2008.

Does the "drowning music" scare you?

1. Yes! It's so creepy!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Not anymore, but it scared me when I was younger.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No way! How is it scary?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    The drowning music never scared me, I get extremely pissed off when I drown, and that's it.

2. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Odd. I've only played the 60hz version, and I noticed a delay between the music stopping and the drowning. It might not be a full 1.5 seconds, but it is noticeable. At the very least, whenever I'm screwing around in Sonic 1 and the drowning music starts playing, I'll jump up to just below the surface and wait for the music to finish, then jump out of the water at the last possible second. It's really fun to do when there are people watching and you make it look like you genuinley won't be able to make it out in time, then the music stops it's like crap your screwed and then you break the surface and the regular level music resumes as if nothing ever happened.

Of course, now I've practically memorized the course to the point where I know when to get the bubbles and how to avoid the music ever playing.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The delay of course being what we like to call the "Last breath chance before DEATH" point =P

4. Insert Coin(s)

Insert Coin(s)

Broletariat Member
    ???
    IT
    The only thing that scares me about the music is the fact that I will die in a matter of seconds if I don't get a bubble. And when I drown...all Hell breaks loose...

5. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    I've not played much in 50 Hz, so I can't tell, but I'm pretty sure there will be a (longer) delay if the game lags, as the music will keep playing at the normal speed although the game plays slower.

I don't think the music really ever scared me. As a kid, I was more scared of the fact that I was going to lose a life, as I didn't notice that I could get air from the bubbles; I owned Sonic & Knuckles, which doesn't have any water, and often rented Sonic 2, but when I was in Aquatic Ruin, I never noticed that I could use the bubbles to stay longer in the water (d'oh!), so if I fell in the water, I hurried to get out as soon as possible (and often failed).

6. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Nothing scary, but it does make me think "not again !!!". It sucks when a bubble appears right when you've drowned though... happened to me in SMS sonic1 about a week ago.

7. jawn.sith

jawn.sith

it's not exactly creepy, more nerve racking

"FUCK, I have to get to a bubble!" that kind of tension.

8. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    Best drowning music ever. It really does get one's heart racing as the music speeds up (which I believe would be the intention of the song), and when it's at its fastest as you reach the surface it feels like a bonafide do-or-die moment.

Does anyone here think that the composers intended for the music to sound like the theme to Jaws?

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Oh, I'm quite sure that they had that in mind.

10. copchase

copchase

I found it scary when I was a kid and I'd gone to visit a family friend who happen to have Sonic 1. I'd never played on a console before and gave Sonic 1 a go. It was pretty hard and I thought I was doing okay (as okay for a kid who was pretty rubbish at playing games) until the friend took the control away from me, entered the level select code and put me on the Labyrinth Zone. Well Sonic obviously downed repeatedly because I couldn't complete the level easily. The music did and at times still does scare me, but that's mainly because I forget that he can still drown, lol!

11. Erinaceus

Erinaceus

I'm Hamilton Member
    Did the drowning music scare me as a kid? Hell yes it did! It scared me, it scared my brother, it scared my friend who owned the Genesis.

I remember us getting so wound up over the drowning music, that we oftentimes all started jumping up and down on the floor, more and more the faster the music got.

Jumping so much that it caused the Genesis to seize up, and the game screwed up, thus rendering the whole ordeal moot.

12. Malgra

Malgra

Studium Member
    I wouldn't say 'scare', wrong word I think. If I was ever at the bottom of ARZ or Labyrinth and that came on, it did make me slightly more nervous and therefore I rushed to find air bubbles and ended up either losing rings by running into things, jumping onto spikes etc. So it heightens the tension which I think was the idea behind it, as opposed to scaring or creeping people out.

Did anyone else find it slightly cruel that on occassions you'd be standing at one of the mounds waiting for an air bubble to come out with that bloody music in the background getting faster and faster, and you watch as the counter reaches zero and sonic runs out of air, only for a bubble to pop out as he's making his way to the bottom of the screen?

13. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The classic drowning music is too epic to be scary, but I am scared of the newer games drowning music because it either doesn't exsist or sounds shit! Now THAT is scary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.